Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this a nursing strike?

Question Is this a nursing strike?

I'm not sure what is going on with DD. She is 7 mos old, drooling/teething off and on lately, but my concern is with nursing. She sleeps with us and has cut down her feedings to one at 11:45 - 12 midnight and then again at
    5:45 a.m. Is that normal?
    Second question, I'm home with her and so we lay down to nurse a lot during the day. We've been doing this for the last 3 weeks or so. On Sunday when we got to church I knew she was hungry but she wouldn't eat when I tried nursing her in the craddle hold. After church we went to a friend's house for lunch and I took her in my friend's bedroom laid on the floor with her and tried to get her to eat. She ate, but it took a lot of attempts and she didn't eat a lot. Then before we left around 4:15 p.m. she ate again, a little more this time. When we got home I tried to feed her again, just so I could feel empty and so she could get some more milk. She ate just fine when we were back home. But, today I tried to feed her around 9:45 a.m. and she bit me. She's done that before to let me know she's not interested, but she hasn't really had any milk since 5:45 a.m. (her last feeding), is this normal?
    I do not like my pump. But, I don't want to be so full that I'm miserable or worse yet, get mastitis.
    She doesn't have any teeth yet, and doesn't fuss or seem to be in pain. She only gets a few sips of water daily and solids once in a while, if she's up when we're eating dinner and seems interested, I offer her some. She usually makes faces and grunts, does that mean she doesn't want any food and I should just stick with the sips of water that she loves?
    Help.
    Amy

Default Re: Is this a nursing strike?

Hi Amy,

How is she doing today? It sounds like a bit of a nursing strike. If it went on beyond today, I might consider pumping, but really just offering the breast, perhaps more often than usual could be the key. She could be teething, which can be quite uncomfortable and some babies don't like to nurse when they are uncomfortable, while others, that is all they want to do.

Default Re: Is this a nursing strike?

I think were over the strike. She nips me if she's not interested, so I learned, rather quickly to give up trying to nurse her. The last two days she's been nursing a lot, yesterday I nursed her 9 times. Today we had company over in the late morning and she waited so patiently to be fed and then took a nap (still napping now). She's just at the stage that if there are distractions especially unfamilar ones she just isn't in nursing. When will this stage pass? I'm leary to take her out alone as I'm not sure she would nurse out in public, as we can't lay down when we're out. I also have a bridal shower coming up on April 8. My mom says I should take her, but I'm still not sure she will nurse at my Aunt's house either. I feel discouraged about feeling house bound. I don't want her to get in the habit of only nursing at home on our bed and laying down.
    Help!
    AMY