Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rice cereal made baby sick

Default Rice cereal made baby sick

Hi.
    My DS is now almost 5 months old & our Dr. told us to give him cereal 1 month ago. I waited because he was a preemie. Anyways- he is doing great. He has almost trippled his birth weight to over 14 pounds (that was 2 weeks ago, too!) on only breast milk. So- last night we tried 1 T. of gerber organic rice cereal mixed with a little BM and he was up every 1/2 hour to hour crying and very gassy! He is ok this morning, since he has had a bowel movement. But what do I do now? Should I put it off for a few months or try it in the morning? He did great eating it- it seemed like he enjoyed it. But, afterwards he felt awful. I ended up still feeding him every 3 hours at night (I have been doing this since birth- I tried skipping feedings by offering the pacifier at night, but so far it hasn't helped..he still seems hungry at night).
    Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Default Re: Rice cereal made baby sick

I believe regardless of what your pedi told you, you might want to hold off solids for at least one more month. I see that your baby is thriving and therefore, rice cereal can be introduced when he's six months. My Pedi has been telling me to feed mine at 4 months, however , I waited and told him I was feeding him when we get to consult. I know he really doesnt need cereal or other solids until 6 months. Make sure taht your baby is ready for solids, when he is interested in food and can sit unassisted.
    When you do try the solids, do it in the first feeding, that way you have the whole day to see if he develops allergies.
    It is a falacy that babies sleep more if you feed them cereal in the last feeding of the day. After 6 months I tried it with my daughter and she still woke up until she was 9 months.
    Stop the cereal and keep breastfeeding. You will know when hes ready... Trust me he will let you know

I would skip the rice all together and wait untill baby is older.
    Did he get a red hind end?
    That can be a sign of allergies.
    Do you have allergies in your family?
    this link talks about the signs of allergies.. its in a box in the middle of the link.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep97p75.html

heres some links from LLL about starting solids.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

we waited till 6.5 months to start solids (avacado 1st) even though pedi suggested at 4 mo to start rice cereal
    mil insisted on giving our lo rice cereal for the sake of following the herd i guess....anyway.....he was up all night.....same things you described...hes never had it again....the rice cereal isnt nutritious anyway so your lo isnt missing anything.....my advice is to wait till your lo is over 6 months (especially since he was a preemie) and try a little avacado all mashed up w/ some breastmilk....you can feed it just like cereal, make it as milky as you want and its got the 'good fat' in it so its good for your baby's brain!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Yeah, you can put solids off longer. On the same note as Andrea's comment about allergies- I was reading a box of rice cereal the other day and Gerber Organic is more than just rice- it has soy in it as well. Could be the culprit. If you are set on solids, try something else like the PP stated such as avocado but trust me, 6 mos will be here before you know it.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I didn't notice the soy- but he does get an upset belly if I have a lot of soy or dairy. Thanks everyone. I will put it off for a little longer, then try something else.