Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yogurt

Default yogurt

Does anyone know of a yogurt where sugar is not the first or second ingredient? My dd seems to like the few tastes of yogurt I've given her, but I was looking at the YoBaby and the second ingredient is sugar! Organic sugar, but still sugar! My dh and I are really trying to make an effort not to give her too much sugar (fresh fruits, 100% juice products, etc.). My aunt suggested plain yogurt mixed with fruit, but plain yogurt is pretty nasty and dd has quite the sweet tooth! Any suggestions?

Default Re: yogurt

It might be hard to find a flavored variety that doesn't have sugar of some kind.
    Have you tried Stonyfield Farms whole milk plain yogurt? It's pretty tasty, but the again I like yogurt.
    Maybe you could mix plain yogurt with a fruit juice of your choice?
    Another idea is greek yogurt if you have a market that would stock something like that. From what I remember (it's been years now) that stuff is *really* tasty.

I buy my yogurt in health food stores. There is a brand called Brown Cow and it is organic and made with whole milk so there is lots of heavy cream on the top. My son loves it. They all have some form of sugar in them, but it's not pure white sugar and it's not the 2nd ingredient. I used to buy yobaby until I read the ingredients!

No wonder Yo Baby tastes so good!
    I will have to look for that other brand now.
    And while the sugar in Yo Baby isn't the greatest, isn't it better than the high fructose corn syrup that is in most yogurts?

I've been getting Stonyfield farm organic plain whole milk, which is unsweetened, and then add some pureed fruit (like unsweetened applesauce or some Earth's Best fruit combo) to sweeten it up a bit. I try to always give him some unsweetened yogurt first so he gets used to the taste, then just swirl it lightly so he still gets the separate yogurt taste. I save Yo-baby for traveling, although he LOVES it. Makes me mad that there is so much sugar.

Recently my supermarket has stopped carrying Storyfield farm whole milk yogurt -- I complained once and am about to go complain again with baby in tow. So I've been giving him Dannon plain whole milk. I'd much prefer organic and also I think SF tastes better -- maybe the cream on top. I've had Brown cow and that's yummy too, but my supermarket doesn't carry it.

Anyway, maybe try to fruit combo -- my DS loves it!

Annie

I've been curious about this. I love yogurt myself and have for as long as I can remember. I'd like to start giving it to Connor. I bought a container of whole milk plain yogurt this weekend. My concern is less about taste (he doesn't have a sweet tooth- I've been trying to get him to eat watermelon the last few days which he mostly throws on the floor, but he practically jumps out of the highchair asking for more broccoli! ), and more how to feed it. Connor refuses to be fed, everything he eats must be set on his tray and he picks it up to feed himself (he'll also allow us to hand him foods, like if we're eating on the go, but we cannot put it into his mouth ourselves). How, then, do I give him yogurt? Should I dip the spoon in it and hand it to him? And ideas? I've also considered dipping foods into the yogurt, I can get him to eat apples and bananas.

I think that would probably work, handing the spoon to him. We do this for DD when she wants something that isn't fist-friendly

As for yoghurt, we buy plain and mix in over-ripe banana, and it is a HUGE hit. You could do the same with some mushy baked apples or some other fruit.

My DS is almost 7 mos old and we've been doing the baby-led approach for almost a month now. I was really surprised that he LOVES the plain yogurt....it actually got me to try it mixed with a bit of leftover avocado and I've since decided that I will use plain yogurt instead of sour cream for guacamole. It was delicious!

My FIL bought the Dannon plain and I have since bought the Stonyfield Farms organic, but honestly, my LO seemed to prefer the Dannon...maybe he likes the tartness? I'm grocery shopping tonight, so tomorrow we'll have a taste test :-)

I'd at least give plain a shot as you might be surprised.

Also, we load the (baby) spoon and "give" it to our LO. We point it in the direction of his mouth and if he wants some yogurt he grabs it and puts it in. He's actually pretty good at getting it in there.

HTH

Wanted to report that Connor does enjoy plain yogurt. We put some on the spoon and give it to him. He's pretty good at self-feeding this way despite only being 11 months old! He's pretty smart about it too, once he's done getting the yogurt off the spoon he either waits for us to ask if he wants more and hands the spoon back or reaches out to give it to us without prompting!

Nissa- To add flavor to plain yogurt try "all fruit" in the jelly section. It tastes great, better for you and you can control how much you put on.