Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to buy nursing bras

Default when to buy nursing bras

I am 23 weeks along & I'm just going w/o a bra because all of mine are uncomfortable, but I don't want to buy a nursing bra that is going to end up being too small. When is the best time to invest in a few good nursing bras?

Right now I'm a DDD, but I remember being a G cup at the birth of my first child.

Default Re: when to buy nursing bras

i've been told to wait until 37 weeks by a LC, but i waited and had LO at 38 weeks and didn't have a bra and it was horrible in the hospital. I will tell you though even if you buy one to fit now, you will probably fit in it as some point in time post pardum.

A bra that was really comfortable for me when i was comfortable was the Victoria's Secret IPEX. It does not have underwire, bit is still very supportive. (i am not as big as you though so it might not be as good as i think)

I'd suggest buying 2 around 37-38 weeks to get you through. Make sure it has an adjustable band, as many women find their ribcages expand during pregnancy and go back down afterward. After the baby is born and you've gotten a milk supply established and your body is (somewhat) back to "normal", you can go in for another fitting and invest in a few more.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

This website has some good bra sizing tips.
    http://www.bravadodesigns.com/content.asp?ID=4

i agree with pp wait till 37 weeks.... in the meantime i just went out and bought a couple bras to get me through since none of mine fit while preggo.
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

I followed the advice to buy nursing bras around 37 weeks, and I still had to go buy new ones about a week after the baby was born, LOL!! My cup size grew two sizes, no joke, in that first week. And this was with my newest baby, LOL, so I thought I had all my mammary development done with since I'd had three pregnancies.

But you would at least have a few bras to get started with even if that happens to you. You'll want something to hold some nursing pads, and when the milk comes in, it can be very uncomfortable for your breasts to have to support themselves.

If your cup size hasn't changed much, you could buy a bra back extender at a fabric store or Motherhood Maternity to get you through.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My cup size also went up after delivering. While I was pregnant, I just bought a few comfortable bras to fit me during pregnancy (non-nursing bras). Prior to delivery, I bought 3 so-called "sleep" nursing bras to wear in the hospital and for the first few days until I could figure out what size I would be. They're not incredibly supportive, but I doubt you'll be caring all that much the first few days. I just saw them as something to give me a little extra support and to hold my breast pads in!
    However, if you plan on nursing for quite a while, it might be a good idea to buy some nursing bras that fit now, because you might be able to wear them again once your breasts "settle down" after a few weeks or months of nursing.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Yet another variation...I was told not to buy them until about 38 weeks or so, but I did around week 35. They are still the ones I wear now. Mine are very, very adjustable though. They are by Bravado and I love them. They are over-the-head style but now they also have a clip kind. They are marketed for maternity and nursing, so they adjust a lot. Maybe something to look into. I have heard some women having to buy another size after delivery though, and then going back to the original one later. LOL I honestly just went braless for a bit at the beginning, I was so tired and it was easier for me. But I am fairly small anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    They are by Bravado and I love them.
    I love Bravado bras. I wish I had discovered them when I first had my baby! They are well worth the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I love Bravado bras. I wish I had discovered them when I first had my baby! They are well worth the money!
    Me too! I wish I had discovered them before buying several others! I had about 3 or 4 before finding Bravado