Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best pump in the $50-$100 range

Default Best pump in the $50-$100 range

I'm putting together a registry and have no idea what I need to be looking for in a pump or a good brand to get. Does anyone have any recommendations?

thank you!

Default Re: Best pump in the $50-$100 range

in that price range i would suggest the Avent Isis. It's a manual pump, but works really well for me

I second the pp - I love my Isis; it works great!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pump.html
    heres a link about picking a pump..
    you might want to skip it all together if your not going back to work.
    Some moms find they don't need to pump at all.
    get an extra $100 worth of diapars.

I third that suggestion. However, I also will say that, if you are planning on pumping a LOT, as in you are going to be working FT, you might want to consider shelling out the extra $$$$ for a quality double electric.
    I got great output from my handheld Isis and it may be just as great for you. If you decide to look into double electrics, I believe that the Ameda Purely Yours is probably the most economical. I have an Ameda PY and it works well. Medela and Avent also make double electrics that have gotten good reviews. If you have very large breasts, please be aware that, last I checked, Avent does NOT have larger breast shield sizes available. I believe that Medela and Ameda do.
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

You should be able to rent a really great one from the hospital you deliver at. I have a $25 "The First Years" manual pump and it's perfect for me. I tried an electric but the control you get with a manual pump increased my success.

I use the Medela Harmony Manual pump. It is around $35 and I love it. I tried the avent on the go and didn't have the same success. I have tried other pumps but I need the 2 phrase expression as it works best for me. I don't pump often as this works best for us.
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

I also have the Medela Harmony. I bought the Isis first and I HATED it. The little valve/membrane thingy kept popping out and I had to take the pump apart and put it back in place over and over. The bought the Harmony and I love it. And it's cheaper.

I have another suggestion. If you are going back to work FT and need a double electric pump, ask either your pediatrician or OB for a prescription for the Advance Medela Pump In Style. Your insurance may cover most or all of it! You can then call a medical supply store to see if they can order you one. A friend of mine did this and she got a brand new one for $60.00. I told a LLL member and she got hers for FREE!! Best of luck!!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I called my insurance's baby program the other day to ask if I could get a pump covered by my insurance and was politely told no.

The girl on the phone, who was very sweet, told me "they dont do that often, and only if the baby really needs it, like its very premature or has a health problem."

I thought that was kind of odd. Someone would actually determine if a baby 'really needed' breast milk? That's crazy. I just imagine them shoving some discount formula in my hand and saying "This is all you need."

Not gonna work