Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Some Support :-)

Exclamation I Need Some Support :-)

Hello,

I have almost quit pumping and now my supply is almost nothing ( a couple drops/ounces a day ) I've never posted on the relactation board before but I have decided that I don't want to stop giving my baby my milk.

1 thing though I can't breastfeed him anymore because he bites me hard. I've tried everythign that everyone has suggested with biting but it's hard cause I'm so uptight when nursing him and seconds later he bites my nipple HARD and I jump and then we are both in tears.

So I'd like to exclusivly pump to give my son who is 9 1/2 months old my milk!

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to relactate? What is the process?

Default Re: I Need Some Support :-)

I am having trouble with my lo biting, too. I would love to hear the things you know that help (even though I am sorry they are not working). Is it because of low supply? That was what I assumed.

I have been working on increasing my supply and found that I really needed a hospital pump to increase. I used a pump n style without success. Some of the ladies use hand expression using the Marmet Technique - which can actually work better than a pump, but I like to pump because I need to multi-task. I have found that having 2 pumping kits is really helpful so if the first has not dried, I have the other ready to use.

It takes a lot of time and effort to pump. Are you sure that you do not want to try a supplementer tube at the breast? or have you already tried that and he still bites? I am taking that plunge myself this week -- using the supplementer, I mean. I am really hoping that he will stop biting using this.

There is a BIG difference between a couple of drops and a couple of ounces. If you still have a couple of ounces, I bet you can bring your milk up fairly quickly (well, quickly meaning several weeks). I started two weeks ago and have come from one drop each time I pumped to about 1/6 to 1/3 ounce each time I pump.

Have you read the stickies at the beginning of the forum? There are herbs like fenugreek and blessed thistle. I take three capsule of both 3x daily. I eat lots of oatmeal. And I am also taking a rather contraversial medication called domperidone. Research it to decide whether or not you would want to do this. I am going to wean off of it as soon as I get my milk up.

There are many ways to do this. Just make sure you are expressing very frequently.

Hello, I had to result to pumping and formula not because of biting but very painful mastitis (now gone) and difficult latching (still some pain) but I am still trying to nurse as best as I can. But anyway because of the above my supply was decreasing and I am also registered with pumpmoms a wonderful group specifically for nursing moms and a couple of things that was suggested for increasing supply was Fenugreek which you can get from any health or vitamin store and eating oatmeal. I have am taking the Fenugreek and it increased my supply as soon as day one (I am sure that it will differ from person to person). I am also having a great time eating Oatmeal cookies!!!!! I would definitely give the Fenugreek a try. I hope this helps!!

Hi,

I'll have to find the link for you for biting, but it's from KellyMom. Someone gave it to me. Actually, my supply has dropped in the past month (dramatically) since my son got his first 2 teeth. I did rent the symphony hospital grade pump but then got sick and my supply went way down even more (added to the biting). And over all I'm just down on it all cause it's hard chasing after a 9 month old who is "cruising" along everything while pumping every hour. I have to admit I only pumped 2 times today (2nd time - right now) It's just hard to get my motivation up and I REALLY want this and have come this far (with some formula and taken from the freezer stash) I don't have a lot of money to buy anything/rent another pump, etc. I have the Medela Pump In Style. I guess I just need to talk to some of you that are going through this too! And how to get my milk back... Good luck with the biting. OUCH!! Is all I have to say! The minute he latches on he bites! So I have finally just decided pumping is for us now!

Ideas?

Tomorrow is a new day (I have fenugreek and brewers yeast) I have instant oatmeal and mothers tea. I'm going full force from here on out. It just helps to talk to others going through this as well. Sometimes others that aren't are like "well, maybe it's time to stop" but then I just don't want to! It's hard to just "quit" I can't do it. My baby needs my milk to stay well through these cold seasons!

Any other ideas?

Well, as you know, a baby who is biting isn't actively eating. I think you are right to build up your supply before trying to bring baby to breast.

To build milk supply you need to pump/nurse 10+ times per day. Focus on that first.

Good luck!

Hi,

Thank you. So to relactate I need to pump 10+ times a day. For how long? 10 mins or just 5 is okay? I would sure love to nurse him again and every week I try again (mainly so he doesn't forget what we are doing) even though he isn't actively nursing right now.

Do you really think I can get back to my 30+ ounces a day when I'm only getting a few now?

I need to spend more time on here while pumping keeping me focused

Oh you poor sweet thing! He bites you first thing?!?! I'm so proud of you for not just throwing the towel in!!!

My LC said to pump/express for three or four minutes after I saw the last drop. This tell your body to increase supply.

I figured he "was up and about" when you said 9 months. I homeschool and there are several homeschooling sites that discuss what to do with your toddler when you are doing school. Might sound strange to go to a homeschooling site for this, but there are some really great ideas out there!

Maybe some special toys that he can only play with while mom pumps? Or a special sing-a-long CD to sing together? Or bath time (to contain him)? Pumping in the car is awesome. A hands free kit (made of rubberbands and safety pins) might help, too. Just don't do too much TV. It is so hard on there little minds. Hmmm....maybe we should start a "Top ten things to do with the baby when we pump" list -- several of us have had fun posting a "Top Ten things to do While Pumping" thread. I am finding that I am getting very creative as the time keeps going.

You know, the nice thing about hand expressing is that you can start and stop quickly without having to get around all the equipment. Maybe that is the best way for you a lot of the time. I am looking at my rental pump as an investment. I rent it for $55 per month. Formula costs ~$75 per month. Surely I am going to come out ahead once I have my supply back!

I love your dedication!

Sorry, one more thought. Sit down and think of 15 "things" for lo to do while mom is pumping. Then, make out your daily schedule. Do the same things in order each day (I said 15 because some will be a bust, you know?) and in about 4 days lo will be on schedule expecting this routine.

Can you pump while he is in the high chair? I always pump while eating. That would be four or five times a day, right there! Even if you are hand expressing, you can do it while he is eating, right?

Praying for you!

Thank you for the information. I never thought my "lil guy" would be moving around this soon. He's been crawling (fast) since 6 months old.

I've already pumped 2 times since I've been awake. Better than all day yesterday!! I'm on a roll!