Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: suddenly dry...

Default suddenly dry...

ok, most of you know that I've been relactating and I'm trying to build my supply back up. I'm taking fenugreek, pumping every 2-3 hours for 15 min on each side, and I can manage to drink half a cup of the mother's milk tea (I can't stand the taste of it...) My nipples were bruised and really sore yesterday so I took a break and only pumped once the whole day, I went to pump today and got next to nothing! I'm still only getting colostrum but it is turning a white color and isn't yellowish/clearish color anymore. but it's still only a few drops at a time. But this morning I didn't get more than 2 drops out of each side. did stopping for one day really make my supply diminish this bad??? and is it going to stay like that??

Default Re: suddenly dry...

Your dedication is amazing. I have a question for you. Are you also putting baby to the breast? Many believe that that is really the key to relactation, over pumping, although most do both. Putting baby to the breast at every opportunity can really get your supply going.

Be sure that you are resting plenty, taking plenty of water and nurse, nurse, nursing. You should be able to get that going again.

Wink Re: suddenly dry...

Jess, you know... I had a similar experience. I found that the more I put my little girl to the breast, it helped me relax a lot more. It also gave the skin to skin contact and the stimulation from the baby. Try pumping in between feedings, even if it's dry pumping. A few drops is better than nothing at all! Try to be more persistant and continuous.

I did the same thing, I went a day without pumping and I noticed that it diminished some. Your body determines how much to produce by how often it's in demand. So I started pumping in between feedings and I noticed the next day and a couple days later (of pumping in between feedings) that it started to go up.

As far as the tea goes... I can't stand the taste of it either, but try adding some milk or cream (I prefer the liquid creamer) and some sugar. It helps a lot!

Good luck!

my only problem with nursing is that he wont do it! he refuses to latch, I try different positions every day, but he won't do it. I'll hold him a lot of the time when I'm pumping hoping that it will help...I also only have the avent isis manual pump, my sister is mailing me her electric one, it should be here some time next week (she lives in Germany) so I'm really hoping that the electric one will help more too. thanks for the advice on the tea too!

Smile Re: suddenly dry...

One thing about the manual pumps (I found personally), is that they're good for once in a while pumping. Mainly for a once in a while use, such as a night out, etc. But I think as soon as I went to an electric pump, it increased my supply a lot more quickly and it's sooo much faster! I bought the pump in style advanced and it's been great.

Even talk to a Lactation Consultant and see if you can rent one of the hospital grade pumps. If I could afford $1000 I'd love to have one of those! But that's what really made me see the difference between the manual and the electrics. So that's when I saved up and bought one of my own.

You could probably also use one of those supplemental feeding things (sorry I don't know what they're called) that hang around your neck and there's small tubes that you put by your nipple that he'll get the formula from while he's stimulating your breast to try and produce. Just keep trying to get him to take the breast. Hopefully some of this will help.

Good luck!

My sister is sending me her medela double electric pump, I should have it by next week...I'm hoping that once I get that my supply will go way up! =) now

Ohhhh... I'm almost going to guarantee that it will go up! But like I said before... just try to pump about every 2 1/2 hours or so. That will help get your body to realize that there's a much higher demand for milk and you'll start producing more. Persistence, that's all it takes!

Quote Originally Posted by jessiiee2005
    My sister is sending me her medela double electric pump, I should have it by next week...I'm hoping that once I get that my supply will go way up! =) now
    Hi Jessiee
    You know, different pumps are designed for different purposes. They all work in different ways.

A person whose milk supply as far down as yours needs a really *heavy duty* pump, the kind that you rent from a hospital or an IBCLC. I am afraid that the pump being sent by your sister may not do the job. It works fine for women who ALREADY have a good supply and are pumping while they are at work or school, but that is not where you are at right now.

I am also concerned because it is a USED pump.
    Is it a Pump in Style that she is sending?
    If so, it is only guarenteed by the company for one year. After that time, it may not work as well as when it was new - it just wears out.
    In addition, the company makes it quite clear that it is a *single user* item, like a toothbrush. It cannot be properly cleaned enough to be sanitary for multiple users. Yes, you can get new flanges and tubes, but the actual machine cannot be sterilized.

I am afraid that I am sounding like a wet blanket
    If you can possible manage it, a rental pump is really the way to go, and I would be negligent if I did not tell you that.

I know that your ultimate aim is to get your baby to nurse. A local LLL Leader can help you do this, and it will cost you nothing! Please give this some thought, because you deserve some one-on-one attention, in person.

To find a local La Leche League Group or Leader, please go to:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/contact.html
    If you don’t see a Group near you, call the nearest Leader, because not all Groups are listed.

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

You know, I actually never knew that the hospital pumps were any better than the medela...as far as being used, my sister only used it once, and then packed it all back up. I am going to the next LLL meeting in my area on april 12th, and possibly meeting with the lactation consultant before that. I do have to say that when I got in the shower this morning, I had leaked a little in my bra! who knew I would ever be happy about that...lol.

Hi Ladies,
    You may want to check this thread. It has a very simple explanation of the two pumps (Lactina often being what many people rent or get at the hospital to rent).
    http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=1519

HTH!