Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *I stopped breastfeeding, Now I want to start back*

Question *I stopped breastfeeding, Now I want to start back*

Hey All!!
    My name is Sabrina, Im 18, from Acworth, GA. I just had my daughter on December the 8th. I got sick like 3 weeks ago and stopped breastfeeding. Then after I was better I started again but my daughter wouldnt stay latched on because I wasnt producing enough milk. I know this because I would pump like once or twice a day and I wouldnt be getting much.Right now my milk is still there in a way...If I hand express then a couple of drops come out. So now that my daughter is 5 weeks old I really want to start breastfeeding again. So I guess what im wanting is some ideas/help on what I can do to start producing milk again.
    Thanks!
    Sabrina and Hailee

Default Re: *I stopped breastfeeding, Now I want to start back*

There is an herb you can take in pill form (i'm at work and can't reemeber the name of it). It increases yor milk supply in matter of days. I took it for about a week when i returned to work because i wasn't able to pump as often as i needed to, it worked and u don't have to continue taking it. Be sure to drink lots of water. The herb is used in the making of maple syrup, they sya it could make you smell like syrup, and it did. I'm sure one of the leaders can tell you the name of it or call your local GNC. Good luck to u and DONT GIVE UP!!!

Get in touch with a LLL leader or lactatin counsultant to get your baby back to the breast.

it is very possilbe to exclusively breastfeed, but help in person would be crucial

Thumbs up Re: *I stopped breastfeeding, Now I want to start back*

It's called fenugreek(spell). I have another question. A friend of mine from work gave me powder fenugreek and I was wondering how much of this I should take per day and how I should take it? She says it taste kind bad? Any idea's.

Hi Sabrina,

Good for you for wanting to relactate!

To regain your milk supply, your breasts need stimulation from a baby or a good pump, ie double electric or ideally a hospital grade rental. Taking herbs or meds in addition to pumping can give you a boost also.

To encourage feedings at the breast, you could consider using a Supplemental Nursing System such as http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/specialtyfdg.html#sns or http://www.lact-aid.com/prodcat.htm#systems
    You fill the containers with human milk or formula and the baby is also getting something from you at the same time.

It may take about 3 weeks (the amount of time since you stopped breastfeeding) to regain your full supply.

A great website for more information and support is http://fourfriends.com/abrw/

Good luck! I also think working with a LLL Leader or Lactation Consultant locally may be very helpful.

Smile Re: *I stopped breastfeeding, Now I want to start back*

Fenugreek comes in pills. It is not used in the making of maple syrup. Only maple sap is used to make 100% maple syrup and I know because I live in Vermont! Fenugreek can make your urine or sweat smell like maple syrup, though. The Breastfeeding Answer Book says that 3 capsules a day can be taken alone or with blessed thistle (also 3 capsules a day). Search fenugreek on the LLLI website and also Dr Newman's handouts at www.thebirthden.com or www.bflrc.com. There are no controlled studies available yet on the use of fenugreek, but yes, many mothers have found. . .
    Check it out first.
    You might also try getting a good pump to stimulate your breasts to produce milk while your baby is learning to go back to the breast.
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby, even while you are bottle feeding. Hold the baby so she is getting the bottle right next to your breast. As soon as you can, begin replacing formula with expressed breast milk. Offer your breast for comfort, offer your breast a lot--during and after bottle-feeds. Be gentle, loving, happy, relaxed, patient.
    Consider an alternative to bottle feeding.
    The good thing is that your baby is still very young. She can learn, but it will take a little time. Find an experienced LLLL or certified lactation consultant to help you.
    Good luck,

Hi, Sabrina,
    I think it's wonderful that you want to relactate. And it is absolutely not too late. It will take some persistance and dedication on your part, but you can do it. I have worked with several mothers who have relactated, including one who hadn't breastfed in 4 months! When she first started the process, her baby was aggressively fighting the breast. She was able to get back to the point where she was fully breastfeeding. When my co-leaders and I asked her what was the single most important thing she did to help her relactate, she said "skin to skin contact." She would pull all the shades down in her house and just hang out with the baby-- skin to skin. In that way, the baby got used to the smell and feel of mom and mom's breasts. Even when she wasn't offerring the breast, she held the baby so her breast was a "pillow." She credits that with stimulating her milk supply and encouraging the baby to take the breast. There is research that supports this notion.

You did not mention whether or not the baby will accept the breast in her mouth at this point. If not, don't despair. Many moms/babies are able to, with love and persistence, progress from the point where the baby is agressively fighting the breast, to where the baby will accept the breast in his mouth but not suck, to finally baby will suck on the breast. Where you are in that continuum will determine what your first steps are. The most important thing is to keep all experiences at the breast positive! If you find you or the baby is getting upset and frustrated, take a break.

Many mothers in your position find the use of a lactation aid helpful. Are you familiar with that? A lactation aidis a way to deliver supplement to the baby without a bottle. The way it works is this: there is a container into which you put the supplement (expressed breastmilk or formula). It hangs around your neck or clips to your shoulder. There are two very thin tubes that come out the bottom. You arrange it so the ends of the tube are right at your nipple. The baby will have the tip of the tube in his mouth while sucking, thereby getting the supplement. The benefits of this are: 1) baby gets used to the taste and feel of the breast in his/her mouth; 2) baby will suck longer and more vigorously at the breast than he/she otherwise would, because he/she is getting rewarded for his/her efforts; 3) there is reduced or eliminated need for the bottle, so there is less risk that the baby will reject the breast for the bottle.

Keep in mind that breastfeeding is a supply and demand relationship. The more you can get the baby to demand (suck) the more supply you will have. The message that the brain needs to "hear" in order to make more milk is: baby sucking on an empty breast. Problem is, many babies who are not used to breastfeeding are not really willing to suck on an empty breast. With the lactation aid, many mothers are able to encourage their baby to suck on their "empty" breast, which sends that message to the brain to "Make More Milk!"

I hope that you will contact a LLL Leader locally who will help you through the process. She will be able to help you with the details, and also to encourage you and buck you up when you are feeling discouraged.

Best of luck and good for you for being willing to do this for your baby. She is lucky to have such a dedicated mom!

~Arlene

It is great that you still want to nurse your baby. It can take time and persistence but you will do it if it's important to you.

Perhaps herbs might help, but babies learn to breastfeed by breastfeeding. Your baby is the best pump.

I agree with the poster who talked about skin to skin. Don't be discouraged if you spend large parts of your day nursing for the next few weeks. It is easy to be put off especially if people comment on the frequency with which a baby nurses and when you are worrying about how much milk you are producing such comments can make you despair. Forget about everything else and focus on your baby, it will pay off.

Get support from other breastfeeding moms. It can be tough and the support of other breastfeeding moms can make all the difference.

Red face Re: *I stopped breastfeeding, Now I want to start back*

Start by increasing your pumping schedule the more you pump the more you will get. I gave up after the first four weeks and I started back when my daughter was seven months old. We now breastfed and she is getting 16ozs a day of breastmilk. It should be even easier for you since it hasnt been that long since you stopped. You can also try a supplemental nurser system which gives her formula while you get her use to your breast again and bring up your supply. It worked great for me since it was a struggle to get my daughter back to my breast after so long. Good luck and dont give up!
    Last edited by heartsickmom; January 16th, 2006 at 02:26 PM.

I second using a SNS. Your best bet would probably be to cut out bottles completely if you can, and just use the SNS, and pump in between feeds.

Since she's only 5 weeks, you have a very good chance of getting your supply back up and getting her back on the breast!

Definitely get ahold of your local LLL if you haven't alreayd!