Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: a few questions... schedule? stools? constipation?

Default a few questions... schedule? stools? constipation?

Hi ladies,

My DS is almost 8 months old - started a bit of cereal at 6 months, and have been successfully experimenting with lots of different fruits and veggies since 7 months.

A few questions (sorry so long, but I've been saving up my questions so I don't have to post thirty times!):

1) what is considered 'normal' stools for an BF infant starting solids? (this may be gross, but what the heck is it supposed to look like, b/c it certainly does not look yellowy, runny and seedy anymore)

2) how can I tell the signs of constipation? (my LO will poop about twice a day, but it will be really dry and formed and small like the size of a chestnut... he will definitely strain to get this out, but he doesn't seem to be in pain. I don't know if it is really considered hard, b/c it totally squishes when I wrap up the diaper, but then every 4 or 5 days he will have a big looser (still not runny) stool...

3) what foods, in your experience, cause the most constipation? and in your experience, what foods will aid in constipation? (ie can I add some prune juice to fruits, veggies or cereal - and before you ask, I do not give him rice cereal )

4) is it okay for us not to be on a 'set' feeding schedule? My LO has a very small appetite for breastmilk, and often refuses me during the day, so I will only give him solids after a good nursing session (he gets solids at least once a day, but I try to give him breakfast, lunch and dinner). Is it bad if I am not consistent? If I give him solids when he hasn't nursed well then he fills up on solids and its even longer before I can get him to nurse again.

Thanks! I really appreciate your input as usual.
    Lisa

Default Re: a few questions... schedule? stools? constipation?

dr sears has some good info on his web site about constipation
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

it sounds like you have figured out a schudle that works for you and baby.
    I always nursed before solids untill my last 2 babies were about 12 months old.

1) what is considered 'normal' stools for an BF infant starting solids? (this may be gross, but what the heck is it supposed to look like, b/c it certainly does not look yellowy, runny and seedy anymore)

I may not be the best person to answer this question, but I'm going to tell you that every baby's "normal" bms will look very different. It depends a lot on the child.

2) how can I tell the signs of constipation? (my LO will poop about twice a day, but it will be really dry and formed and small like the size of a chestnut... he will definitely strain to get this out, but he doesn't seem to be in pain. I don't know if it is really considered hard, b/c it totally squishes when I wrap up the diaper, but then every 4 or 5 days he will have a big looser (still not runny) stool...

I would say that those dry formed pieces may mean that your lo is slightly constipated. Again, I'm probly not the best person to give these answers as we are working on these same issues as we speak!

3) what foods, in your experience, cause the most constipation? and in your experience, what foods will aid in constipation? (ie can I add some prune juice to fruits, veggies or cereal - and before you ask, I do not give him rice cereal )

I just asked this question on this very board a couple of days ago. Here is a short list. Foods that may constipate include rice cereal, bananas, carrots. Some foods that may help relieve constipation include apricots, prunes, peaches, pears, plums. I have also found that sweet potatoes seem to help my lo have a bm. I know you said you don't use rice cereal, but if you use cereal at all, try barley. It is high in fiber so will aid in constipation as long as lo takes in enough fluids.

4) is it okay for us not to be on a 'set' feeding schedule? My LO has a very small appetite for breastmilk, and often refuses me during the day, so I will only give him solids after a good nursing session (he gets solids at least once a day, but I try to give him breakfast, lunch and dinner). Is it bad if I am not consistent? If I give him solids when he hasn't nursed well then he fills up on solids and its even longer before I can get him to nurse again.

I think it is definately ok to not have a set feeding schedule. Like I said, my dd is just over 9 months, and we still aren't set on a feeding schedule. Since about 7 months, we've tried to offer at least one meal each day, around supper time. She didn't always want it until a couple of weeks ago. Now, every time she sees anyone eating anything, she's quite sure that she needs to eat as well. I think she'd eat a box of Cheerios a day if I let her! I would say, though, to always nurse before offering solids since it sounds like your lo isn't too interested in nursing all the time. Some days I wish that was the case with us... Dd would nurse hourly if I let her, too! It's like having a newborn for 9 months!

I know I didn't have lots of great answers for you, but I hope that something in here will help!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Basically, what goes in must come out!! And since the things he's eating look different, so will his poops. These are more "big people" poops now. My dd started to strain when we introduced solids, so I gave her some water and that has helped. I also make sure she gets at least one fruit or veggie as part of her meals.

I didn't have a "set" schedule either in the beginning. Just whenever I felt she'd nursed and might enjoy something to eat. Now that she's almost 10 months old, she's up to 3 small meals a day, but the times vary depending on how she nurses.