Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freezing Avocados

Default Freezing Avocados

Looks like the price of avocados may be going up so I wanted to buy a bunch and freeze them. The wholesome babyfood website suggests to freeze slices rather than mashed and use a few drops of lemon juice to prevent browning. Anyone have any experience with this? How long do they stay good while frozen?
    Thanks!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Default Re: Freezing Avocados

Haven't frozen slices, but the mashed ones are supposed to be good for 2-3 months last I read...

I found the following at:
    http://www.avocado.org/

Storing or Freezing California Avocados
    Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three days.

To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.

If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard the top, browned layer.

When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it. Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and dips.
    - Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
    - Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch of headspace.
    - Seal and label the containers.
    - Freeze and use within four to five months.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

thanks so much for the information everyone! I totally thought "how am I going to give my boy avocadoes?" when I heard the news about the freeze. Now I am going to run to the farmer's market on Friday and freeze a bunch!

My baby LOVES avacado!! I haven't frozen any yet, thanks for the tip on them going up. My husband just said he heard the same. I have a book called Super Baby Foods by Ruth Yaron and in there it says not to put any citrus on foods until baby is a year as they are high allergins. I just looked up freezing for you and it says best way is to mash first then spoon into ice cube trays, pat flat, then freeze for up to 3mos. This book highly suggests avacado as a 1st food as early as 4 mos; it contains lots of fatty acids for brain development. My ped never heard of giving avacado but I did anyway because I trusted the book and my instincts and it was a hit!

I froze some avocado mush today and will try to do slices tomorrow. My own little science experiment. My son seems to really like his avocados (he's only been eating solids for a week) so it will be nice to have a stash on hand!
    Katie

im going to start doing this w/ leftovers....i feel like i waste so much of it....even though i make everyone in the family have a slice w/ dinner too!!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

bumping for amyg

Just wanted to update that I froze 2 ice-cube trays full of mashed avocado and they turned out great. Not brown at all and they taste fine. Zach loves them and I am happy to finish any that he does not eat!
    Katie