Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: foremilk vs. hindmilk storing ?

Default foremilk vs. hindmilk storing ?

I've gone back to work and have started pumping in the morning before my LO gets up. I usually get 8oz during that session, but it looks like it's mostly foremilk (grayish in color). When I pump during the day, the milk looks more thicker like hindmilk. My question is, when I go to freeze it in bags at the end of the day, should I freeze the 8oz foremilk bag by itself or should I mix a little with the fattier milk? I don't want to take away the value of the hindmilk, but I don't think that a full bottle of foremilk is good either. I've read somewhere that it should be tossed, but in my opinion breast milk is like gold and none of it should go to waste. If I didn't pump in the morning, I would not be able to meet his needs for daycare and would eventually have to supplement (which I strongly don't want to do). Any advice?

Default Re: foremilk vs. hindmilk storing ?

When I pump after a feeding I usually get hindmilk from one breast while the other breast fills the bottle with plenty of foremilk. So I go ahead and mix the two before storing. So far I haven't had any problems.

Default Re: foremilk vs. hindmilk storing ?

Don't toss the milk!!

The milk you pumped in the morning is totally fine. Think of it this way...if your baby had woke to nurse on that breast, he would have received the same meal.

The only time that too much foremilk is of concern is what it is *consistantly* too much foremilk (oversupply, switching breasts too soon, ect). The low fat content causes the milk to be digested quickly and more lactose than usual to be leaked into the colon.