Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sudden toddler lead weaning - do I pump?

Default sudden toddler lead weaning - do I pump?

Max is 26 months and mostly only nurses at night, but all night. I have been trying to encourage some night weaning as I am leaving in 2 weeks for 4 nights away from him (first time). The weaning did not work and he had been nursing during the night quite a bit at night and even asking for it sometimes in the evening (“I want booby” – mostly in front of my mother in law who totally disapproves).

Anyway, 2 nights ago, Max would ask to nurse, nurse for a few minutes and then bite me. I told him that he could not nurse if he was going to bite me. He did it a couple more times but still nursed in his sleep fine.
    Last night, he asked to nurse in the evening and bit me. I told him no. He tried again and bit me again. So I put him to sleep without nursing (he didn’t ask for it) and he didn’t nurse all night long. He woke up once for a couple of hours and eventually went to sleep without it. Again – he didn’t ask for it.

I am not sure what this all means. I am debating whether I should pump today. Do you think I need to?

Thanks so much for your help. This is the first time in Max’s life he has not nursed during the night.

Of course if he is weaned (at least somewhat at night) it will lessen the stress of me going away and I may not need to drag the big PIS.

Default Re: sudden toddler lead weaning - do I pump?

I have not been in this situation, but I think I would pump for a few days to keep supply up in case this is not really weaning, and for your comfort. Since it was quite a sudden change and just happened last night, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Lisa,

I don't have any experience here either but wanted to reply anyway. This must be bewildering! I'd probably pump (just once per day or night?) in case he changed his mind. Sorry I can't help!

Is he nursing during the day at all now? It's OK to pump for comfort while you wait to see what happens. And if you'd like to keep encouraging him to nurse you could pump to keep your supply in the meantime.
    Keep us posted, OK?
    Mary

Thanks for your replies. Last night, at bed time, he asked to nurse again. I have to admit, I was really gun shy b/c of the biting. He nursed for quite a while using his teeth a lot and eventually bit. He thinks it's funny. So I told him no and he pulled my shirt down.
    Then he went to sleep again without nursing and slept all night long!!! He reached out for me a few times but just to hold my necklace - not to nurse.
    I am truly amazed and I am proud of him for taking this step.

He does not really nurse during the day b/c he is in daycare. He will ask to nurse in the evening or the weekend day once in a blue moon but not very often - not even once a month. But, like I said, always in front of my MIL which is the worst person to ask in front of : ) Of course I will continue to nurse him whenever he asks.

Thanks again for your replies. I really never thought this would happen and the timing is good since I have my business trip soon. My DH thinks he knows this - I am sure he does.

Lisa