Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 21 months and mostly nurses

Default 21 months and mostly nurses

Everyday I offer my dd snacks, meals, water, juice, etc. She tries some but isn't a big eater by any means. I admit I am nervous about introducing things as she had a bad allergic reaction around 11 months.... the ped thinks it was eggs but we were never sure. I strongly suspect cow's milk allergy, causes eczema on legs.

Is it OK to still allow so much nursing? I know that's a silly question as some cultures nurse for years but every now and then I wonder if I'm the problem somehow.

She does have some favorites like Pastena with cheese, Ritz Dinosaur crackers, graham crackers, pears, CARROTS, broccoli, tiny tiny bites of meatballs, potatoes.

I hear some moms say their children eat everything.... and I"m still in the allergy testing mode. Tell me this is OK? Or if I'm too cautious. I believe I'm right on with my approach but have to get a reality check from LLLI minded folks.

Default Re: 21 months and mostly nurses

I think it sounds like you are following your daughters cues and feeding when she wants to eat. It is not possible nor smart to try and force solids on kids when they just don't want them and lots of kids with allergies are instinctively cautious when it comes to solids anyway. I would follow your gut and keep slowly introducing new foods as long as your daughter is healthy, happy, gaining weight and developing well.

Sounds like dd is enjoying a variety of foods and still lucky enough to be benefiting from your milk! Imagine what her nutrition would be if she didn't have BF!

With your caution due to allergies I would suggest that dd could most certainly be in "protection mode" by not eating too many foods.

Follow your instincts! Sounds like you two are doing great!

Thank you for the replies. My daughter has always been in the 99% in all categories from day 1. She has only been sick once in her life, caught a bug at the 15 month check up in the waiting room at the ped office.

I feel very fortunate to have such a healthy girl. Thanks for the support. I have my mother and dear friend (age 70) looking at me with cross eyes because I still bf. Every now and then I let it get to me.

Another question....

My dd is only moving bowels once a week. She is 21 months. She struggles when she does go and I feel like a midwife coaching her to let loose. The poos are soft. My mother says she is not comfortable with the sensation of the needing to go.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby
    She does have some favorites like Pastena with cheese, Ritz Dinosaur crackers, graham crackers, pears, CARROTS, broccoli, tiny tiny bites of meatballs, potatoes.
    What does dd eat on a regular basis?

Young babies who are exclusively BF may go long periods of time between BM-sometimes a week or more-and this is considered normal. The composition of BM is so that they use almost everything they are taking in. I am not sure if this concept would continue to pertain to your dd, being that she is older, but it would follow that it might. I can check some more on that for you.

You said her poos are soft but only once a week and she seems to struggle. How exactly does she struggle? Can you describe it?

At this age it is common for toddlers to become aware of elimination habits and sensations. I remember dd's always going behind the chair in the corner of the livingroom when having a BM. I always knew what they were doing!

Have you spoken to her doctor about this? Just curious what they would have to say.