Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Where can I find donor MILK?

Default Where can I find donor MILK?

Hello! My name is Tina and I am mother to DJ. He was born premature at 30 weeks on August 7th weighting 2lbs 5oz. He is currently weighting 8 lbs 12 oz. I have battled supply issues since day 1 Not sure what the problem is but there is one. I have been through LC, fenugreek, thistle, 48 hours breastfeeding, prolactation tea, more milk plus, oatmeal, drinking LOTS of water, domperidone to no avail. I am pumping, pumping, pumping (every 2 hours from 7:30a - 11:30p and at about 3-4a) I get about 10 oz in 24 hours, I am a pumper because I work but I am in my 5th month of pumping and have been supplementing as you can tell. I have been on Milk Share and have contacted our Milk Bank. Our milk bank wants $3.50 an ounce and that is just not something I can do. Can you help me on where to find donated milk for my precious little one?

Thanks SO much!

Default Re: Looking for donated MILK?

Quote Originally Posted by DJsMommy View Post
    Hello! My name is Tina and I am mother to DJ. He was born premature at 30 weeks on August 7th weighting 2lbs 5oz. He is currently weighting 8 lbs 12 oz.
    Welcome to the board!

Wow! You LO has really grown.

I have battled supply issues since day 1. Not sure what the problem is but there is one. I have been through LC, fenugreek, thistle, 48 hours breastfeeding, prolactation tea, more milk plus, oatmeal, drinking LOTS of water, domperidone to no avail. I am pumping, pumping, pumping (every 2 hours from 7:30a - 11:30p and at about 3-4a). I get about 10 oz in 24 hours, I am a pumper because I work but I am in my 5th month of pumping and have been supplementing as you can tell.
    You are working very hard to maintain your milk production!

How long have you been pumping 10 oz in 24 hours? Is this a recent decrease in your overall yield, or your long term average?

I have been on Milk Share and have contacted our Milk Bank. Our milk bank wants $3.50 an ounce and that is just not something I can do. Can you help me on where to find donated milk for my precious little one?
    Would your doctor write a prescription for donated milk? Have you checked with your insurance company to see if they would cover any portion of the cost (possible, considering your ds is a preemie)?

If you choose to look for a person to person donation, I urge you to find a doctor who is knowledgeable about milk sharing and who would be willing to do the necessary testing. I also urge you to research the topic thoroughly before committing.

La Leche League's guidelines for milk sharing and cross nursing are this:
    A mother who is unable to use a human milk bank is encouraged to use the services of a doctor who is knowledgeable about managing human milk donations. The doctor will order the necessary testing for the donor mother, and make sure that the mothers involved in the donation are given the correct management information about human milk expression, storage and transportation.
    http://www.llli.org/Release/milksharing.html

Thanks!

How long have you been pumping 10 oz in 24 hours? Is this a recent decrease in your overall yield, or your long term average?

Sadly, this is my long term average.

Would your doctor write a prescription for donated milk? Have you checked with your insurance company to see if they would cover any portion of the cost (possible, considering your ds is a preemie)?

I asked my doctor and she said YES, I was thinking great. So I called the MilkBank and they said they wanted $3.50 an ounce So I called in insurance company and they pretty much laughed at me and said we don't pay for that and you can use formula. I tried to explain and she looked up my account and was like we did not help you pay for a breast pump why would we pay for milk. I told her if she looks at what has been paid for she would see that LO was in the NICU. Of course she said we have paid close to $210,000 this year on him. I was like yep and she said nope not covered. I was so angry that I didn't get her name because boy was I ready to complain!

Thanks for your information!

No idea abour breastmilk---

but with ins cos, the first person you talk to is supposed to tell you "no" regardless of what you are asking for...call again, speak to a supervisor, keep calling until you get what you feel is fair...

again, this is general ins co advice l

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

If your insurance is through your employer (or DH's employer), you could try asking the benefits department there for help. They might be able to make an exception for your particular case, or help the insurance company negotiate something for both of you.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

The $3.50 a oz is a average rate for breastmilk, and it's actually not the selling of breastmilk, but the processing of it they are charging for which includes pasterization, calorie testing, blood test of donating mothers, paying of actual employees, etc....most milk banks are non-profit, but they do have to pay the bills and for the equipment. As far as insurance companies go, most do not pay for it once the baby leaves the NICU - prescription or not, unless it is a life urgency thing and the baby cannot medically take formula (not because mom doesn't want the baby to be on formula, but for actually medical reasons). If you happen to qualify for medicaid, they will (this is what I have been told by the milk bank I donated to) but if it is not a life threatning thing, the milk banks put those to be donated to last, so most babies that get donated milk after leaving the NICU still have to supplement with formula - it goes to the most severe cases first (NICU first), then trinkles down based on urgency of why it is needed - there are just not enough moms that donate to go around.
    Great Job on pumping BTW!!!!

If I could find a place to donate my milk, I would totally do it! My milk is going to waste (I WAAAAY overproduce...just last week, in one day, I pumped 60 oz. in addition to what my almost 4 week old is eating...talk about constant engorgement). But, I've not been able to find any place/one around here who knows where to go for milk banking.

Default Re: Where can I find donor MILK?