Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only feeds on one side

Default Only feeds on one side

I'm a new mom, my daughter is 4 weeks old. We've done really well breastfeeding from the very beginning, however at each feeding she only takes from one side. When she's finished one side, and has been burped, she's satisfied. I'm always sure to alternate at each feeding. Just wanted to check in to see if that's normal or okay.

My other concern is that I'm going back to work in 2 weeks. When is the best time to pump to "stock up" for my husband to feed her while I'm at work?

Thanks!

Default Re: Only feeds on one side

Hi There!

Congratulations on your new baby girl! It's perfectly fine for your baby to eat from just one side per feeding. As long as she's having plenty of wet and dirty diapers and gaining weight, you can be assured that she's getting enough to eat.

To stock up for going back to work, try pumping the opposite side while she nurses (some moms find they need a helper to manage this), or pumping right after she eats.

Here's a link to a LLL source that can help you with your return to work (it includes links to articles on pumping and storing milk).

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/returnwork.html

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Very rarely even at 10 months old, my ds takes both sides. Best of luck going back to work and congrats on you dc!

Thumbs up Re: Only feeds on one side

My 3.5 month old is the same way. I have always fed on one side. She eats, burps, and is happy. I tried to do both sides because that is what "everyone told me how to do it", and that didn't work for me and my baby girl. I just switch sides everytime, and sometimes I forget which side I fed on, no big deal!!

If you know you are going to pump after going back to work I would go ahead and invest in a good double breastpump. You will be able to pump alot more milk which will help you stock up before you go back to work.

By the way, you are so lucky that your hubby is going to take care of your little one. I am green with envy!

I have heard many mothers say that they try to nurse their babies on the "non-favored" side while baby is sleeping or sleepy, that way they don't really notice.

Hi, there,

It's perfectly fine. as a matter of fact, I only breastfeed one side. I think the other side is pretty much dried up. My son is 9 months now and he stopped taking the other side when he was 3 months old.

Congrat and good luck.