Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clicking Sounds??

Question Clicking Sounds??

Hello:

My 3+ week old often makes a clicking sounds when feeding. I am wondering if this is a sure sign that she is not latched on properly. I wasn't concerned until I saw this from the AskDrSears.com website:

"You don't hear clicking sounds, which would indicate that baby does not have his tongue positioned correctly and is latched on incorrectly."

My dd is feeding regularly and has very regular pee/poop diapers. I do, however, have some initial latch on pain, but it always subsides after about 5-10 seconds.

Just wanted to hear others experiences.

Thanks in advanced. Leslie

Default Re: Clicking Sounds??

Clicking sounds can also be a sign of thrush/yeast. Do you or baby have any other signs?

Some other signs are about halfway down the page here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

Hi...

No signs of thrust or anything like that.

Funny thing is that soon after I posted this message she latched on where there was no clicking sounds AND she covered an even larger part of the aerola than usual. I going to go out on a limb and guess that when she's clicking the latch may not be as good as it can be.

Still I would love to hear from others....

Leslie

tounge tie can make them click!
    but if your not sore and its not all the time, it could just be her latch.

to me clicking = sore nipples!
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

dd had the same thing - and hers was because her tongue wasn;t out over her bottom gums like it is supposed to be. Molly showed us to gently pull her bottom jaw open as she latches (at her chin) and then push up gently under her chin when she latches on as it makes her tongue thrust out where it is supposed to be. Now I had to nurse holding my finger under her chin for about a week - but finally she got it. And MAN did my nipples feel better!!

Jeff's hope makes sense - that perhaps my dd's tongue isn't out over her bottom gums. When I'm about to put her on the breast, her tongue is DOWN but maybe it's just not out far enough. Not sure as I'm still only 4 weeks into it. But I will try the finger under the chin strategy.

Any other suggestions are welcomed...

Leslie

Clicking does usually indicate that baby isn't latched on deeply enough. When your baby cries, how far out over her bottom gums does her tongue extend? If her tongue isn't extending out past her bottom gums then she could be tongue-tied. Also though, it could just be that she's not latched on deeply. when you latch her on do you use the RAM (rapid arm movement) technique?

In response to LLLCarol:

First, thank you for your reply. When dd cries, her tongue does seem to come out over her gums (i believe) (she's sleeping now but I will check for sure later). But she does stick her tongue out when she is mimicking myself or hubby so I don't think she has an issue with her tongue.

In regards to the RAM (I didn't know what that meant but looked it up under the FAQ )...I believe I am doing that if it means rapidly putting her on the breast when her mouth is open wide (if it doesn't mean that can you please advise)

In regards to the clicking sounds they are not there ALL the time (but they are there most of the time) and even come and go throughout the feeding. Sometimes I take her off and put her back on in a desperate attempt to get her to latch on without the clicking sounds. But, the clicking sounds are still there.

On another note, dd's output is very good in regards to wet and stools. The latch does have initial pain that subsides after about 5-10 seconds). Is it possible that she is just "a clicker" or should I considering going to a LLL meeting. I have a question though...are the LLL meetings the type of places where someone can assist with the latch or is it more appropriate to see an LLL leader for that?

most leaders have a time of question and answers after they hold the meeting. If its a bringing home baby meeting you might be able to ask when the subject comes up.
    Our group is very relaxed I know that each leader has their own style and such. Some groups work more like classes. Call your local leader and at least talk to her and find our where and when the meetings are. She might be willing to talk to you before then if its a while untill the monthy meething