Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month's baby is pooping once in 3-4 days

Default 3 month's baby is pooping once in 3-4 days

My 3 month's baby is pooping once in 3-4 days nowadays.....She is passing lot of gas with odour smell...Brestfeeding is going well. she is having 6-8 wet diapers.She is on 10 th percentile WEIGHT growth chart.I heard of saying baby should poop everyday, otherwise she will get obesity.It seems because of my diet, baby is not pooping well. Is it Right ? What should i do to make the baby to poop everyday? please help me......
    Last edited by das123; January 17th, 2007 at 12:26 PM.

Default Re: 3 month's baby is pooping once in 3-4 days

As babies get older, they will poop less frequently. If she is strictly BF, then you most likely have nothing to worry about.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/04enough_milk.html

Some breastfed babies, after the first three to four weeks of life, may suddenly change their stool pattern from many each day, to one every three days or even less. Some babies have gone as long as 15 days or more without a bowel movement. As long as the baby is otherwise well, and the stool is the usual pasty or soft, yellow movement, this is not constipation and is of no concern. No treatment is necessary or desirable, because no treatment is necessary or desirable for something that is normal.
    HTH, I also replied to your other post as well.

Yeah, nothing to worry about. All 3 of my kids were/are the same way (I have a 4 yo, and 3 month old twins). My boys don't poop for 3-4 days and then they have a HUGE blow out, as did my daughter when she was a baby.

The longest my DD has gone was 8 days, and that did scare me. But like the previous posters said, it is normal. As long as she is having plenty of wet diapers and isn't in pain, then you shouldn't worry. Just watch out for the day your LO does poop, chances are it will be huge.

that seems like it is normal... right now I wish my baby would poop less often, he poops after every feeding!!!