Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7m old drinking only 3-4oz per feed. Is this normal?

Default 7m old drinking only 3-4oz per feed. Is this normal?

We started our DS with solid when he turned 6mths. He's now 5 days to 8 months and takes solids twice a day - lunch and dinner. We give him very thin rice porridge with fish and either potato or carrot - all boiled and meshed.

My concern is he's still drinking only about 3-4oz on average per feeding. He drinks EBM about 3 times in the day (once in the morning, once to twice in the afternoon) and once in the evening before bed if I come home late from work. Then, he wakes up at least 4 times to nurse at night! Usually at 11+pm, 1+am 3+am and 6+am. The PD said he's thriving well although his weight gain has slowed down alot since the 5-month mark. He can roll over & back on both sides, and can sit for afew seconds on his own. He can reach out and grab objects placed in front of him. He seems to be doing just fine developmentally.

But is his feeding pattern normal for an almost 8 month old? TIA!

Default Re: 7m old drinking only 3-4oz per feed. Is this normal?

my friend & i were just discussing the feeding schedule yesterday, her baby is 8mos and my baby will be 6mos on the 22nd. i give him one fruit in the am and late afternoon cereal & a veg. but he still nurses 8-10x a day but only weighs 15lbs?? his weight slowed down at 5mos also but he's VERY active! her baby gets 3 solids a day, in am cereal & fruit, then afternoon a veg, at dinner a bottle (she's supplementing) & cereal. he nurses 3x a day and ff not sure how many x a day but she said he drinks 5-6oz & he's about 22lbs. your baby is eating what he can handle & what his body needs. do you give him any water at all? my baby drinks only 1-2oz tops and my friend's baby gets some water & also juice during the day.

This is well within the range of normal and if you ped. is happy with his growth and development, then all is well!

Way to go for doing such a great job, mama!!

My LO cannot take more than 5 ounces. I've tried sending 6 ounce bottles of EBM to daycare, but it just gets wasted. DD is almost 7 months and nursung 8-9 times per day. HTH

My son is nearly 11 months old, and once we started him on solids at six months his milk intake really adjusted. At first, I was a little worried, but he was happy and healthy, so I stopped worring.

My 8-month old eats maybe a total of 9-12 ounces (3-4 4-oz. feedings) in the 10-12 hours I am away from home. She has solids for breakfast (rice cereal with a fruit) and lunch (veggie and fruit). She nurses before I leave and several times within the 2 hours I am home before she goes to bed. She wakes up 1-3 times a night to nurse (it used to be much more!). It was explained to me that she was/is reverse-cycling because I work long days and she prefers nursing to the bottle. I also nurse a lot on the weekends to keep my supply up and to bond again. She is very healthy and happy, so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear LO's feeding pattern is actually quite normal. I guess DS eats little but more frequently (usually 2-3 hourly). My friends' younger babies are drinking 5-7oz so that got me wondering if my baby is drinking enough. Thks again!