Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF / Pumping help

Question BF / Pumping help

My DD is 3 weeks, 2 days old. She feeds on average every 3 hours consistantly. I would like to be able to BF, but also pump so I can return to work. I managed to pump 4 oz (probably could have gotten more), but when I fed it to her at the next feeding, it was not enough. I am afraid that I may not be able to pump enough and still be able to nurse at the next feeding. The first time I tried it I dumped the milk because I was just experimenting. When she fed the next time, I did not seem to have enough for her. How will I be able to feed and still pump enough for her to be fed while I am at work??

Default Re: BF / Pumping help

I know how you feel. When you are already nursing full-time, it can be tricky to squeeze in pumping sessions. But 4 ounces is a great output!

I'm going to suggest that you post this question over on the Pumping board:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...splay.php?f=12

My basic advice is, don't stress about building up a huge freezer stash before you return to work. When you are back at work, the milk you pump each day will go into your baby's tummy the very next day. The freezer stash is a Just in Case kind of resource, to give you a cushion in case you miss a pumping session or get sick or something.

For now, try pumping just once a day, at the same time every day. Freeze that milk (don't dump it!), and don't feed it to your baby yet. Just nurse her when she cues she is hungry. If you pump and then baby nurses and doesn't seem satisfied, well, nurse her longer. Don't try to keep her fixed on a feeding schedule. Your body will quickly adjust to keep up with baby's demand AND the new feeding for the pump.

The other thing I wanted to mention is there's a three-week growth spurt, so her frequent cues to nurse may be that growth spurt, nothing to do with the pumping, and not a sign that you aren't making enough milk. Just nurse her on cue and try to pump at the same time every day for now.

--Rebecca

i found the best time to pump was first thing in the am. i'd feed dd on the same breast throughout the night, feed her at 5 or 6am, put her back to sleep, then pump the unused breast. i'd get bt 5 and 6 oz and freeze it. i built up about a 7 day supply before i went back to work. this is all you'll need. i've had to throw-out frozen ebm because it was over 4 mo. old.

Thank you both for your advice. I will try the first thing in the am pumping, I seem to be pretty full at that point. Since my left breast seems to suffer from OALD, that may be a good one to start with.