Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: shipping BM

Default shipping BM

I just started back to work full time, which means I'll be traveling more often. Any suggestions on how to ship my pumped milk back home or how to travel with it. Due to new airline security measures I cannot carry the breast milk onto the plane with me since I won't actually have the baby with me. Should I ship it?? How do I do that?? USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL???Should I "check" the cooler with the breast milk with my other luggage?? How to I make sure it doesn't spill or leak?? I've heard of the ice melting, etc. I am not the biggest producer of bm so I hate to dump.

Default Re: shipping BM

You can ship it back overnight if you want. Wrap the frozen milk in newspaper, pack in a styrofoam cooler with dry ice. Wrap the cooler in newspaper, and put in a cardboard box. Ship this package.

I've also heard of mothers checking the cooler at the luggage counter. Tape it shut, so it stays shut through the bouncing of the luggage. Consider doublebagging the milk inside the cooler, so if one bag leaks, everything isn't covered in milk. Same thing for the ice - put it in bags. You could also use dry ice here, too. Ship with whatever shipping method is available to you at your location, and where you want it to go.

Icy salt water stays much cooler than just ice water, so think about throwing salt in with your ice.

Some airports are now letting breast milk go through security, some aren't, and will make you throw it away right there at the security checkpoint. So, if you pump some while you're at the airport, go ahead and try to take it on the plane with you. A nice security person may let you through. This seems to be more prevalent at the smaller airports, than the big hubs.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Where do you get dry ice from?

A few grocery stores carry it, some gas stations. Start by calling grocery stores, if they don't have it, they'll probably know who does carry it.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!