Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i cant stop eating!!!!

Unhappy i cant stop eating!!!!

eek: I cant believe i cant stop eating so much its almost as if im still pregnant or worse!!!! Im getting discourage with this breastfeeding...what can anyone advice on what to do about this hunger? is it normal when you breasfeed? PLEASE SOMEBODY OUT THERE HELP!!!!

Default Re: i cant stop eating!!!!

Many breastfeeding mothers notice an increase in appetite. You will burn an average of 300-500 more calories per day above your metabolic/activity needs.

Sometimes the sensation of hunger is thirst. If you're concerned that you may be eating more than you require, try drinking a little water and see how you feel. If you're still hungry, eat a good, nutrient dense snack. Besides the fact that nutrient rich foods are better for you, they also keep you full longer!

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr04p44.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...es-fluids.html

Wow, me too. I've been BFing for almost four months now, and I had a very little appetite up until about two weeks ago, and now I cant seem to get full. I thought I was pregnant also, I still haven't taken a test, but I think because I am back down to pre-progo weight, my fat stores are gone and I need to make up for it!

i had a phase like that too when DS was about 3mos old now at 5mos I am so busy i sometimes skip a meal ( i know i should not do that) and don't really notice a change in supply. It's very strange!!

Yep me three. I'm even eating right now!! I think the weather has to do with it too. I mean it's cold so going anywhere with my DD is only if I have too. Other than that I'm in the house waiting for summer or at least a nice spring. So naturally in the winter even a non b/f person eats more, don't they? I don't care too much I figure come late spring early summer and all summer I'll be running around town driving to baseball and softball for my three older children so thats when I'll burn it all off.

I will be finished dinner and immediately need sugary foods, I feel like I could keep eating, but I refrain...most of the time .

The best advice I can give you, I eat wholesome foods when you get the cravings. Have apple slices and bananas at hand. Keep nuts at hand, they are a good souce of vitamins and are goos for most people.
    Eat a variety of foods that are low in calories and high in nutrients--check the Nutrition Facts Label. Eat less fat and fewer high-fat foods. Eat smaller portions and more times a day, eventhough this may sound like you are eating more, it helps your metabolism to speed up. I usaully eat 6 small meals per day.Limit or eliminate second helpings of foods high in fat and calories. Eat more vegetables and fruits without fats and sugars added in preparation or at the table.
    Eat quinoa, wheat or spinach pasta (Only - not semolina), brown rice, spelt or quinoa breads, and cereals (Kashi go lean, oatmeals, cream of wheat)without fats and sugars added in preparation or at the table.
    Eat less sugars and fewer sweets (like candy, cookies, cakes, soda).
    No alcohol. If you want a beer have Odouls, this one has no alcohol and some people say it helps in the production of milk.
    Chew you food at least 20 times prior to swallowing, this gives your brain the opportunity to trigger the "full" sensation. Dink lots of liquids (water is optimum). If you are in a cold location, the hunger may trigger because is the way your body is telling you to store more calories to keep you warm. Although some experts disagree, I believe that the thermic effect really gets a toll on breastfeeding moms.
    If you crave something, Like chocolate, ice cream, etc, have "a taste" of it. Dont wait till your craving gets out of control. It is OK to indulge once in a while.
    Nurse as often as you can and dont get discourage. Remember you need to eat healthy, snce that's what you are transferring to your baby. Let me know if you have any questions.

I use to get ravenous--I could eat anything. And I could eat anything and still stay about 5 pounds below pre-preg weight! Ah--those were the days.

I use to carry protein bars around with me. Or small packets of nuts. Basically anything high in protein that would satiated my hunger for more than an hour at a time.

Unfortunately-as your baby gets older and nurses less-you've got to adjust those eating habits all over again--your body doesn't need those extra calories anymore. Now I'm five pounds above my pre-preg weight. I really have to pay attention to what I eat now. Bummer!