Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Workplace Pumping Question

Default Workplace Pumping Question

Hello all! I have a friend who just found out she's expecting in September also! Anyway, she's planning to be off work with the new little one through the middle of January 2008. However, when she returns to work, she's concerned about pumping. She said that her employer does not provide any space for mother's to pump during breaks. She works for a large university (Purdue) so that just floors me. Does anyone know if there is any law (we're in Indiana) that requires them to provide her with a space to pump? I would think that they would have to at least allow her that!

TIA!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Default Re: Workplace Pumping Question

does she have a break room? I pump in our breakroom and I don't care who's there. I sit at the table and place my nurses jacket over the pumps so I'm not exposed and pump away. It actually helps me not seeing the milk come out. If I watch, some reason I don't produce as much

I'll have to ask her about the break room. I think she's looking for a more private place to pump. I know it stinks to do it but I suggested her car if nothing else works out at the University. I'm just amazed that they wouldn't have to provide at least a semi-private room for her to pump in.
    Amber

I found this on the LLL website in the legal section (not sure how it relates to pumping):
    http://www.llli.org/Law/Bills18a.html

SUMMARY OF ENACTED BREASTFEEDING LEGISLATION
    INDIANA
    Ind. Code. IC § 16-35-6-1
    As added by P.L.125-2003, SEC.1.

Notwithstanding any other law, a woman may breastfeed her child anywhere the woman has a right to be.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I also work for a major corporation that does not supply a place for mothers to pump. Fortunately for me we have a unisex bathroom in this office that has a lock that I use. I think more companies should promote BFing.

She should contact her HR department. I work for a large university too and my school will provide a location for mothers that request it (who do not have a private office of their own).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Well, she discovered today that they have a room at an off site location (how convenient is that?!?). She would have to drive all the way there, about 10-15 minutes. And, they only allow pumping on the regular break schedule. So, by the time she got there, she would have already used up her entire break! That just stinks.
    Amber

I agree check with the university, but I think that it sucks that they would not have a place already.