Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I´m confused about advice from Pediatrican

Default I´m confused about advice from Pediatrican

Hello

Yesterday I went to my pediatrican for a normal check for my 4 month old son and found out that he had lost weight since the last check (at 3 months). Up to now, he had been following his curve and gaining enough weight. He has a lot of saliva and is drooling a lot. Could he be teething?

The doctor suggested that I give him a supplement at night so that I can make more hindmilk at night so he has a big feeding around 8am. His arguement is that my son isn´t getting enough sleep to grow (he only sleeps around 4 hours between feeding). I´m scared that if I give him this supplement, I won´t be able to meet his needs in the future. I don´t know what to do. Letting the milk collect in my breast isn´t going to give him more hindmilk, is it? Won´t my breast stop producing milk at night because my son isn´t drinking it? My pediatrican also suggested leaving more time between feedings so that my son gets more. I have been reading a lot of the posting and what I read here is the contrary. More feedings more milk. Help! I´m confused!!
    Last edited by tanyacodes; January 16th, 2007 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Opps, spelling error

Default Re: I´m confused about advice from Pediatrican

Hello and welcome to the forum. I`m not sure why your little son lost weight, but my son is about the same age and he is not gaining as much as he had been previously. I know that a lot is going on around this mark-teething, new skills etc. Does he have a hard time focusing on nursing?

You are right about bf. The more you offer the breast, the more signals your body gets to make milk. Limiting the length or frequency of feedings will the wrong signals to your body. I know that my little guy eats most at night, during the day he is just too busy playing Plus, you will not make more hindmilk by waiting more. As far as I know, there is always hindmilk and you don`t have to wait until the morning to make it.
    I know more pp will chime in with helpful info. Take heart...

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...nJul01p54.html

I like this link it talks about how milk is made and how often baby needs to nurse.
    Did doctor talk about breast compression?
    that helps the baby get more milk
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

doctors don't get much training in breastfeeding and most don't know what they are talking about.

Don't be afraid to call your local lll leader she can give you some more ideas to help baby gain weight.

I have to echo the pps and say that, although I'm sure your doctor means well and is trying to help, that advice seems exactly the opposite of what you should be doing. "More feedings more milk" is exactly right.
    I'm not sure about the weight loss issue. How has your LO's diaper output been?
    Sorry you're gong through this. Have you talked to a LLL leader or certified lactation consultant about any of this? They are more knowledgeable.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hi tanyacodes,
    Can you tell us more about your son's nursing patterns? What is his output like?
    As andrea_ohio mentioned, breast compression can be one way to get more milk during a feeding. Going longer between feedings at night does not improve how much hindmilk a baby will get - quite the opposite. See here for another explanation.
    "The longer the amount of time between feedings, the more diluted that leftover milk becomes. This "watery" milk has a higher lactose content and less fat than the milk stored in the milk-making cells higher up in the breast."
    Mary

Thank you for all the support.

Dani nurses about five times a day(I have to admit, I had never counted...). He is usually content after each feeding but never asleep. In his last feeding around 730pm he usually cries at the beginning, but I think it is because he is tired and over stimulated. I put him to bed around 8pm and then he wakes up around 1ish. Then, after that, it is about every three to four hours. I have tried waking him up at 11 when I go to bed, but he still wakes up around 1 or 2. Is this because he is acustom to waking up at that time? During his long period of sleep, he wakes up one or two times and can be rocked back to sleep or goes to sleep himself. He has a lot of wet diapers and has one bm a day or everyother day.

I really don´t know what to do because with my first child I had a difficult time with the breastfeeding and had to supplement. I was happy because Dani was doing so well and then this happened. If you have any suggestions, or advice, I will try anything.
    Last edited by tanyacodes; January 16th, 2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: more info

maybe just offering more during the day will help. Try the breastcompressions every time you feed baby.
    lots of skin to skin contact works with some babies.