Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Giving breastmilk in a bottle... How much?

Default Giving breastmilk in a bottle... How much?

My husband and I like to give our son one bottle a day, usually before "bedtime" (which he doen't really go to sleep afterwards, but we're trying) or for a middle of the night feeding. My question is how much should we be offering him? We've been starting with 2oz., and have had to add another ounce or so. Does anyone know a rule of thumb for giving breastmilk in a bottle? Noah is 5 weeks old today.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and support.

Default Re: Giving breastmilk in a bottle... How much?

I would let Noah be the judge of how much you give him. When he seems full & content. I started my baby on a bottle at 5 weeks too so that I could see how much breastmilk to send him to daycare with. He usually drank 3-4 ounces at each feeding which was about 2-3 hours apart. Now he's 2mos old & drinks 5-6 ounces at each feeding.

My sister bottle fed 4 babies and this was her answer to this question when I posed it to her. Start with whatever you think he'll eat, say 3 oz. but put a little more in..like half an ounce. If he finishes all that give him 4 oz in the next bottle. If he doesn't finish, go to 3 oz. This way you have less wasted milk.

Dr. Sears says to use the following as a gauge: 2 oz per pound in a 24 hr period. So my daughter, Molly, is almost 10 lbs. According to this she would be eating about 20 oz a day total divided amoung her feedings per day. So if she had 6 feedings she might average 3-4 oz per feeding.

Of course this varies by baby.

We always start with 4 oz. We arrived at that amount after starting smaller and always having to add. She got her first bottle at 3 weeks.

Now, at almost 3 months, my daughter is totally inconsistent. Sometimes she eats 2-3 oz. and other times she needs 6 or even a little more. The thing is, that we never know when she will want what so I do end up throwing away a lot of milk. Luckily, we do not bottle feed her too often (avg. once a day) so I try to just let it go. In the beginning, I shed a little tear over every ounce of wasted milk, but now I just see it as an unfortunate side effect of pumping.