Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: producing enough while working

Default producing enough while working

I have recently started working as a nurse working 12 hour shifts. I pump 3 times a shift, which is the most I am able to do. I get about 3-4 ounces total with each session. My SIL watches my baby while I work and she says that she thinks the baby is starting to want more milk at each bottle then I pump in a session. BTW my LO is almost 5 months. What should I do to yield more milk during pumping sessions? I already do breast compression during pumping, and I don't have any extra stashed. I am going to try to build up a stash on days off.

Default Re: producing enough while working

I work 10 hr days, and had very much the same situation. I never pumped enough at work for the next day and Nana's. Here's the shedule that really works for us
    I wake up and pump (this session provides the bulk of my EBM for the day 8-10oz total)) then get ready for work,
    then about an hour later i BF DD
    I pump 3-4X a day at work (usually only getting 10-12 oz total)
    I get home, and BF DD approx 3-4X before she goes down for the night (she'll sleep 11-12 hrs at a stretch so i'm super super lucky!!)
    and i pump 1-2X before bed (getting only 1-3 oz total). I'm usually pumping just enough to send with her the next day to Nana's, but i occassionally add a middle of the night session if we're cutting it close. I also pump like crazy on my days off to maintain a little freezer stash. It's exhausting, but possible. good luck!!

oh forgot to add, I really get more milk at a pumping session if i pump until i get a good let down, and the flow totally stops, then turn off the pump and give my self 3-5 minutes "break time", then pump some more until i get another let down. HTH!!

how long do you pump per session? I found if I pump for 15 min instead of 12 min I get more milk. Maybe you can increase the amount of time you pump. I had to explain why I needed extra break time to my boss but he was ok with it,