Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having trouble pumping

Question Having trouble pumping

I have been pumping while working for 2 months now. I usually get 40 ounces per day. I pump 1st thing in the morning, then breastfeed my baby, then pump every 2 hours while at work 7 then breastfeed my baby when I'm home from work. I am having trouble pumping with a double electric "the first years" pump. My breasts are full in the back & nipples sore in the front but nothing comes out. The pump is fine, just my breasts have changed so I started mashing the base of my breast to get more milk to come out & it works, but now my breasts hurt & not much milk comes out on it's own, I have to mash most of it out now. Can you damage your milk ducts this way? What can I do to help?

Default Re: Having trouble pumping

This might not be the case for you, but I also used the First Years pump and had it die on me. I noticed the same things as you - still felt full after pumping. This went on for about 2 weeks until I finally noticed the pump wasn't working correctly.
    If your sure its not the pump though, maybe try massaging your breasts while pumping. It may work, and will definitely ease some of the pain

Well I've definately got the massaging during pumping down pat... I think maybe I have "massaged" so hard it turned into "mashing" and now they feel bruised and my milk supply has decreased slightly. Now I'm wondering if I have squashed my milk ducts.

You can't squash your milk ducts. Don't worry!! I don't know if part of the problem is your pump. I use the medela electric pump. Some womens breasts don't react that well to the pump as others. For me, I get clogged milk ducts (especially in the morning when I get up) and that problem happens to me too. I massage my breasts with a hot cloth first to loosen up the milk. I put the cloth over my breast and massage in a circular motion (like a breast exam) while leaning forward. I do this for about 15 mins. Gravity does help! When I pump, I also lean forward and massage my breasts. Hold on to the part of the pump that goes over the nipple with both hands and massage your breasts with your thumbs pushing towards the pump. So this insync with the pump. When the pump pulls the nipple, massage toward it. Then for the side, I use the knucke of my index finger and massage in a circular motion towards the pump. I pump until no more comes out, then I pump a few mins more without massaging to help make more milk for the next time. Just remember, if you stress about pumping while you are pumping, your milk out put won't be as good. Stress lowers the milk supply.. So my advice is to distract yourself while you are pumping.

I used the first years double for a month and it did the same thing as yours in the beginning then eventually less and less then I invested in my medela and my supply was stilll there it was just that pump.