Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottles

Default Bottles

What kind of bottles ae recommended for breastfeed babies? We tried Avent with a number 1 nipple and my baby sucked it down so fast she got a tummy ache. . When can I feed her a bottle?

Default Re: Bottles

How old is she? My LO took avent for a while but it gave him tummy aches. We tried a bunch of different ones and ended up with the Platex nurser system with the plastic bags you can squeeze the air out of. NOt very environmentally friendly but its what worked for us.

I found that pretty much all bottles have a fast flow compared to breastfeeding. We used the Playtex system with our youngest, and used the Avent disposable system with our twins. I agree with the PP--those disposable systems let you squeeze out all the air, which does help. However, you still have to be pretty diligent about burping after every ounce or so, which sometimes means that you have to pull the bottle out of baby's mouth when they're not ready.

Lisa
    Last edited by ljgrile; January 16th, 2007 at 11:57 AM.

Soothie bottles from The First Years with a #1 nipple work good for my 2 month old.

My LO likes the BreastFlow by the First Years bottles and the Dr. Brown's Bottles. She will take both types from DH and the DCP but will only take the breastflow bottles from me. We use a size 1 nipple so it is a slowflow.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

She is 6 weeks old. I have some soothies so I guess I will try those next. Is it ok for me to give her a bottle?

You should be OK to introduce a bottle at this point, as long as you're not having any other latch issues. Breastfeeding should be well enough established that you should be OK.

Lisa

We use the Dr. Brown's they are great and I love love them. They are expensive but they help on LO gas! Good luck!

My LO wouldn't take a bottle for a while, we tired almost everything, I finally got Dr. Browns, they worked ok, then I switched to the brown Playtex nipples, and he takes those great, and the flow doesn't seem to be to much. Good luck.

you could try getting a preemie nipple, that's what i did for DS, I switched to dr brown's level 1 when he was 11 weeks, he sucked it down too fast with the level 1 at first, now he takes it much better.