Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips on cleaning Medela Advanced PIS?

Default Re: Tips on cleaning Medela Advanced PIS?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleina's_Mom View Post
    it is very possible to have milk get into the tubing!
    The Medela PIS is not a "closed" system and it IS possible for milk to get into the tubes and from there into the pump itself. This is why the Medela PIS is considered a "single user" pump and officially not supposed to reuse among different women. The hospital grade rentals are "closed systems" so there is no possible way for milk to get into the motor and no risk of cross contamination. I forget which ones - but there are other retail pumps that are closed systems so could be reused among different women with just new horns.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

i firswt used a bottle brush to clean the bottles (squirt a little soap in the bottle and fill with hot water) i use the soapy bottle brush to put in the suction cup part(i keep the horn all together, just take off the flap) and swirl it around to get off any oils or things that get on to them. then i run the hot water through it to get some soap and water through the whole thing. i also run them throught the dishwaher a couple of times a week to sanatize them.

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    I forget which ones - but there are other retail pumps that are closed systems so could be reused among different women with just new horns.
    the ameda purely yours pump is a closed system, so milk does NOT get into the tubing.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I recently bought an Avent microwave sterilizer and sterilize my parts once or twice a week. Very convenient (vs. boiling water). I wash in soapy water with a bottle brush after each use. Also, a friend (who is also a nurse) reminded me I should run by bottle brush through the dishwasher often and replace it regularly -- she said lots of bacteria can build up on the brush.