Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Defrosting ?

Default Defrosting ?

I am just now needing to get into my "frozen stash". I am going to need it for a babysitter on Saturday night. Should I put it in the fridge to thaw out on Friday? Or is there a better way to do it? I just want to have it all ready to go for her.

Default Re: Defrosting ?

I found thawing in the fridge took way to long - even if I put it in the day before I needed it. What worked best for me is either running the milk under warm water, or leaving it soak in a bowl of cool water (but using it immediatly after it thawed - half hour or so) HTH

I also found that fridge thawing took way too long. I sometimes would put it in the fridge the day before, but would finish thawing beforehand.

Lisa

I usually take it out of the freezer the day before BUT sometimes the bag has a tear in it and the milk leaks out and spoils. The ice chunks can be sharp for the bags. Keep an eye on it and if it appears to be leaking, you may have to use that bag now and get another bag for the sitter.

My best suggestion is to leave it in the freezer, and leave instruction for defrosting under warm, running water.

Thanks ladies. How long does it take to thaw under the warm water?

i wait until i need the milk and run it under warm water. it doesn't take very long to defrost this way. even if it dethaws in the fridge, it may need to be run under water anyway to take the chill off of the milk. i have fears of breast feeding in public, so when i have to go somewhere, i always throw a bag of frozen milk into the diaper bag with a battle set up so that i can just run the bag under water in a bathroom to prepare it for my lo.