Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sterilizing equipment

Default sterilizing equipment

Hey there,

Do I still need to sterilize my breast pump each time I use it, my son is 14 weeks old. I had heard that for over 3 months it's not nessesary. Is washing and air drying sufficient? (and sterilizing once in a while)

Thanks
    Kathy

Default Re: sterilizing equipment

i wash with warm soapy water after each use and run them through the dishwasher twicee a week or so.

I agree with PP. Warm, soapy water will take care of it. And if you want you can sterilize the pump parts every couple weeks. That's what I do.

I just started doing the same thing. I pump 2-3 times at work and after sessions 1 and 2 I wash with soapy water and rinse well. I dry with paper towels (not sterile per se). After my last pumping session I wash again with soapy water and nuke for 5 minutes in the microwave with a steam sterilizer so they are ready for the next day.
    Sometimes when I am busy and I do not get to pump a 3rd time or if I get to go nurse her instead I do nothing since they were washed with soap after the last pump. If this happenes for several days in a row then I make sure to toss them in the microwave to steam before I leave for the end of the day.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I rinse well under very hot water after each use, and then wash with soap and steam sterilize about every other day. No problems yet!

i sterilize my pump parts everyday. i have been told that it is not important to do it at all, but for some reason i just feel more confortable doing it. i will admit i am getting tired of boiling everything everyday!

In my BFing class, our instructor said to sterilize the parts 1-2 times per week. I bought an Avent microwave sterilizer that is very convenient -- much faster than boiling water.