Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: medela swing pump

Default medela swing pump

hi everyone,
    does anyone own the medela swing pump? I am thinking of getting a pump and am quite enticed by this one....(but i don't know). I really cannot afford to waste money if it turns out not to be that great.

thanks

Default Re: medela swing pump

Medela specializes in breastfeeding supplies, so they are generally considered "trustworthy". I don't know if that is helpful to you or not.

One of the best measures of a pump's usefulness is what you'll be using it for. The Swing is a single electric, so it may or may not fit your needs.

Hello!

I own the Swing pump, and I think it's pretty good. It has the suckling and let-down mode, and it really helps to get the milk going.
    The only thing I don't like about it is how easy the AC plug comes out of it. I'll be in the middle of pumping, and I move two inches and the darn thing falls out and turns off.
    That's probably the only thing bad about it.

Although, if I would have known that I was going to EP I would have bought a double pump. But it would work great if you were just pumping some of the time.

Good luck!

Oh, and ps...
    don't buy it from Babies R' Us. They seem to charge $50 more...

thank you ladies, I think I might give it a try. Does anyone know if pumping both sides at the same time would yield more milk than pumping one side right after the other. Or would output be the same?

You would definitely yield more milk using a double pump.
    I don't know from experience, but it's what I read. A double pump is by far the most efficient way to pump, meaning more milk in less time.
    When you pump one breast, the one that is not being pumped goes into let-down mode and starts leaking. Unless you have a bottle underneath that breast also, you loose all that milk that is leaked out. So, right there it shows that you yield more milk with a double pump.