Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: infrequent bowel movements

Default infrequent bowel movements

a few days ago my 2 1/2 week old daughter started getting really gassy and started having only 1-2 bowel movements a day, she was having 3-5. She also seems to be feeding less, about 5-10 minutes each time, and then wants to eat alot at only one feeding in the evening. Is this normal, or is she suddenly not eating enough? i am worried sick she is not getting enough all of a sudden, and that my milk will dry up.

Default Re: infrequent bowel movements

Congrats on your new baby! You're concerned that the changes in bms and gas mean you are loosing your supply. It does not appear that is the case from what you are describing.

Do you mind me asking a few questions?

-How is your baby gaining?
    -What color is the baby's stool?
    -Can you hear your baby sucking? Can you describe it?
    -Does your baby's cheeks dimple in or does she make clicking sounds when nursing?
    -Has the baby had any health problems?

You're concerned that your going to loose your supply. The best way to keep your supply up is to nurse your baby on demand. We will figure this out. I believe very strongly that there are very few bf problems that don't have a solution (even if it takes ingenuity). If your baby is gaining well, her poops are in the range of normal.

Keep up the good work, mama. You've reached out for help and that is a wonderful first step to making your nursing relationship successful!
    Last edited by LLL_Kristie; January 16th, 2007 at 07:34 AM.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi