Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new mom from ohio

Default new mom from ohio

I am a new mom who really wants to breastfeed but is having some frustrating difficulties. my daughter (who is 2 1/2 weeks old) will not eat without a nipple shield, she only nurses for about 5 minutes at a time, and has problems with bowel movements, only having one to two a day and what seems like continuous gas. Does anyone have any suggestions or reassurance for me? I worry all the time even though last weight check she still seems to be gaining.

Default Re: new mom from ohio

Hi sara marie,
    I moved this to the Newborns forum for more replies.
    Congratulations on your daughter!
    It's definitely a good sign that your daughter is gaining. Have you been working with someone locally?
    Mary

Welcome. Congratulations on your new baby. It sounds like she is doing better than you are thinking. When you say she eats for 5 minutes, do you mean she falls asleep or pulls off? Some babies are really efficient at emptying the breast. 1 or 2 poops a day is actually really good. My DD still only poops about 4 times a week. As far as the gas goes, she may be having sensitivities to the food you are eating. My DD was effected by dairy and had gas from it. I eliminated milk and cheeses. Some people have to eliminate all dairy even hidden dairy but for us just eliminating the milk and cheese really helped. As far as the nipple shield goes, there are a lot of people experienced in getting baby off it, but I am not one of them. Post your question again under the Breastfeeding questions forum and you will get more replies. Good luck. In the beginning it can be really hard and stressful but you'll be so glad you stuck with it.

we have some wonderfull leaders here in ohio!
    don't be afraid to call your local leader she there to help!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web/Ohio.html

the nipple shield really worked for me. if it's one of the newer silicone ones with four big holes they get plenty of milk when you use it. and don't worry about getting your baby off it. i thought my son would be hooked FOREVER but was pretty easy to wean off it around 4 1/2 weeks. my son seemed to have quite a bit of gas in those early weeks to but that passed. i think they take in more air early on as they are learning and if she's crying alot that will contribute as well.

as long as you're having enough wet diapers (i think the number is 6-8?) they only a couple poops is OK.

nursing gets WAY easier as time passes, stick with it and get help from LLL, they are great!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807