Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 months old too early to start?

Default 4 months old too early to start?

I had no inention of starting solids until my daughter was 6 months old, but she is grabbing at our food and plates and showing a lot of interest in food. Should I still wait, or give it a try? I would prefer to wait but if she is needing more, I want to provide that. She just turned 4 months old.
    Tracy

Default Re: 4 months old too early to start?

According to the AAP, babies should be exclusively breastfed for at least 6 months.

Keep in mind that your baby is going to grab for a lot of things -- buttons, pennies, marbles, food....Grabbing for things is a developmental milestone but it doesn't necessarily equate into it being a good idea to allow her to put those things in her mouth, kwim?

You may want to try giving her a momsicle during mealtime to keep her occupied. I used to just freeze breastmilk in my ice cube containers and then put one of the cubes into one of those baby-safe feeders. Baby sucked on it while the rest of us were eating and she seemed to enjoy it

HTH!

Thanks!! I really want to wait so this is good to hear! I LOVE the momscicle idea!! But what is a baby feeder?

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I'd also recommend giving the baby a plastic baby spoon to play with whenever you are at the table. My DD was satisfied with playing with a spoon for almost 2 whole months!

Jacqui

This really belongs under infant breastfeeding but since I just posted about starting solids I figured I would ask it here.
    Yesterday she nursed every 2 hours (usually goes 3) and three times throughout the night (usually nurses once). I am exhausted! I'm assuming this is her 4 month growth spurt?? How long will this last before she levels oug again?

Baby nursing patterns are often sporadic and unpredictable. Much like their sleeping patterns, lol. Seems like just as soon as we get adjusted to baby's natural patterns they go and switch them up on us!

Do you co-sleep with your baby? If not you may want to try it in an effort to facilitate more rest for everyone.

It could be a growth spurt your baby is going through in which case it usually takes your body about 1-2 days to catch up with baby's increased demand

Yes, we co-sleep. My problem is that I have never mastered putting her to breast laying down and then dozing off. I have to sit up and nurse her. lol! Then I have trouble falling back to sleep. I'll nap with her today to catch up on my sleep a little.

Keep trying to figure out the side-lying position -- it's well worth the effort, LOL!

The baby feeder I mentioned is this one -- you can find them just about anywhere -- Target is where I got mine, I think.

HTH!

Wink Re: 4 months old too early to start?

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol
    The baby feeder I mentioned is this one -- you can find them just about anywhere -- Target is where I got mine, I think.
    That's a pretty neat contraption!! What happens to all the juices, or when the frozen things melt? Baby can't catch it all. Does it run down their hand and arm or does the base of the feeeder catch it? Is the handle hollow?
    I can see how this could cause a huge sticky mess every time it's used. Not that I'm against messes...babies make messes! But I was just wondering if it's more of a pain than a help?

Yeah, the juices will drip out. I've never found it to be a pain though. Except for when I put banana's in it, lol. They were hard to clean out. The handle on ours isn't hollow.