Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Distracted during feedings...is he eating enough?

Question Distracted during feedings...is he eating enough?

I have been bfing my 6 month old and pumping 3x's a day at work to provide bottles during the week. Lately ds has been becoming so active and nosey. When it's time to nurse it becomes a game. He'll latch on well, start to nurse, but easily becomes distracted or starts to look up at me and laugh and play. I try to get him to latch back on, but he's such a busy body that he doesn't always. When he does finish one side, by the time I switch him to the other breast he has lost interest and wants to go back to play. I"m worried that he isn't eating enough nursing this way. And, now he gets up every 2 hours at night to nurse. Do I just keep letting him nurse this way??? I"m also worried because I rely on the weekends to nurse and stimulate in order to keep my supply up so that I have enought when I pump. He nursed poorly this weekend (was extremely playful and distracted) and now my milk supply was low when I pumped today. I don't have enough for his bottles and he already gets one formula bottle due to only being able to pump enough for two bottles. I don't know what to do. He seems content and happy when he does nurse and he wets plenty, but I'm worried about my supply. I didn't orginally plan to nurse this long due to having to pump 3x's at work, but it was going well and I want to keep doing it for a few more months. What do I do??

Default Re: Distracted during feedings...is he eating enough?

Distractibility like this is very common at this age -- and it can be extremely frustrating.

I wouldn't worry about whether he is eating enough. He won't starve himself, and it sounds as if he is making up for it with frequent night nursing anyway.

As for your supply ... yeah, that makes it all the more frustrating to deal with. Could you add a couple pumping sessions on the weekend, or maybe on workday mornings before you go to work (with the extra night nursings, you may have some extra supply in the morning anyway)?

How about a nursing necklace or some similar toy that he can finger while he nurses, to keep him at the breast a little longer? If you can just get through this highly distractible stage, he should soon mature into a better ability to focus. I think when they are this young, their little brains really don't understand the concept of "one thing at a time."

--Rebecca

What is a nursing necklace?

I don't have an answer, but I'm going through the same thing. My dd is 4 months old. I also had a decrease in supply after this weekend...and was at least a couple of ounces short from what she usually takes to daycare. I never made enough milk to create an extra stash, so she has to have formula when she runs out of ebm. I already pump 4 times a day (once before work and 3 times at work). She is so distracted that she forgets to nurse. So I figured that next weekend I would try to nurse her more often instead of waiting for her to initiate. For example, trying to feed her every hour or two to see if she is hungry. I've heard good things about the nursing neclaces too. To get enough for daycare, I've had to add a pumping session before bed. I usually don't get much at night, but sometimes that extra 2 oz helps. I noticed that she wants to nurse more often when she has less distractions...for example, no TV, a semi dark room, no noise. But I have to be careful, because if I take away all the noise, she likes to fall asleep! That doesn't help the supply either. Good Luck!

A nursing necklace is a necklace for mom to wear that has brightly colored beads and charms on it. They are made extra strong so that they won't easily break. I looked some up online and they have all different kinds!

For your suply. I would pump some after you nurse and also pump the other as well to up your suply. By doing this it should increase the amount that comes out. My ds was very active and it was hard to even get one complete session in. If we were out and about I either had to go to the car or end my excursion because he was so attentive to what was going around him. At home I had to go into the bedroom and bf him laying down. It was so embarasing when he would fight me when I tried to nurse him in public even though he was hungry. It gets better after time. He still won't bf in public unless we're out side. Funny guy hugh.

I have the same problem with dd, but nursing in a quiet dark place is not an option for me (single mom with toddler too) so I bought some baby earplugs at Babies'r'us (they are for airplane rides) and use a blindfold over her eyes (she won't allow a blanket over her head). It has helped out so much! I have also been trying to devise some sort or nursing blinder that covers baby's ears but haven't successfully made one yet. I tried a nursing necklace but dd would try to chew on it instead of nursing. Sometimes I can give her a rattle and just let her bang it while she nurses (opt for a soft one, they hurt less).
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Thumbs up Re: Distracted during feedings...is he eating enough?

Thanks all for the feedback.....even just knowing others are in the same boat as me helps. It can be so frustrating....especially in instaces where I'm trying to feed him and instead of latching on and nursing he is laughing, making raspberries and watching everything around him...all while in front of my family/friends who don't fully understand about bfing. I guess the one thing I have been learning is to judge things by how happy my ds is, the fact that he is thriving and gaining weight, and the bond that we do share. I have to be totally honest in saying that prior to having ds and breastfeeding myself, I never fully understood people that I saw bfing their babies. I would hear about LaLeche league and think negatively about their mission, thinking they were trying to brain wash people with their mission. Well, I have to apologize for my thought and commend them for their support and understanding of so many different feeding cicumstances be it formula or bm. I could not have done this this long without everyone's support and advice on this forum!!!
    I'm 6 months today with ds and going strong hopefully for the next 6!! Even if I have to wear my breast pump!!
    Thanks again!