Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's Wrong With Me?

Question What's Wrong With Me?

Okay so today I went to pump like I normally do and I did not get a let down and only about .5oz came out. What's going on? My DD has recently started to clamp down while feeding so my nipples are very sore. Could thiscause the problem above?

Default Re: What's Wrong With Me?

Ouch! Sometimes pain can inhibit letdown. Though, I wonder if your pump has been checked? Sometimes, the smallest issue with a pump can greatly decrease it's effectiveness. Are you under a lot of stress?

If you're at work now and needing to get more milk for your efforts, perhaps try hand expression or (before pumping) the tips for assisting MER found on this page: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Thanks for the info I will use it for next time. I have since pumped 2 times and got 2oz at 9am and 3.5oz at 11am. So maybe I just wasn't able to relax enough.

My output fluctuates a lot - it could be many things, but it always seems to rebound so I try not to worry when I end up with very little.

Having sore nipples can definitely affect you. Try shorter sessions, but more often. Ultimately, try to relax.

I know for a fact that I can barely get any milk if Im stressed or something is going on that stresses me. My friend was over with her daughter yesterday and she was fussy. Then my middle boy was acting up, and I was TRYING to pump. LOL not much came out thats for sure.

Thanks for the advice ladies! I try so hard to relax while pumping. It's just so frustrating when one day I can get 14 ounces in and eight hour period and then on others I only get 8-9 ounces. I have also noticed that I am able to relax more at home then at work because while at home if I need to pump I get more output it's either that or I produce more milk in the evening.