Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: positions for older babies?

Default positions for older babies?

this may sound strange to some of you, but, i need to find a comfortable position where ds can nurse yet still be "involved" in what his surroundings are. this started the other day when my oldest was watching seasame street and lo was nursing, yet wanted to watch too, so he let go for a minute, then tried to "take" num-num with him...i found myself sitting backward against the couch so he could sit up nursing and watch oldest ds watch tv. after about 2 min of no sucking, i took him off, yet he protested and i ended up turning off elmo and big bird to get a book for all three of us, yet ds still wanted to "sit up" with big brother to read with his num-num , so i had to sit sideways and try to read them a story...he doesn't really nurse either, it is just the presence of num-num in his mouth and hands ...he literally holds me as if i am a bottle, the whole "swigging back the head" motion and all!! i don't want to remove the security he feels, yet, i have been reading everyone else's stories of lo being too active to nurse, we are just the opposite, he is too busy latched on to do other things. we play and have fun, yet, it has become more of a challenge when he wants to ride his baby tricycle while latched on!! help

Default Re: positions for older babies?

maybe try and limit feeds to when he can slow down and have a good nurse.
    I had a deal that dd could nurse only if she would lay down and rest too.
    that helped.
    how old is baby?

13 months...how do you "limit" nursing? i feel soo mean when he is crying...and he is too little to "reason" with.

yeah 13 months is a little bit young to limit...
    I didn't start untill close to 2 with my dd.

I guess this might sound mean, but if DD was really trying to get into a position that was hurting me, I just unlatched her and told her that she was hurting mommy and then put her back in a comfortable position to nurse. I think my DD put 2 and 2 together, even if her language comprehension wasn't totally there, my actions were obvious. I don't know of any position where a child can BF AND watch TV at the same time! YOU are not a bottle.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

i guess it is never to early to start trying to limit...as pp said, they definatley understand the actions...i just have such a soft spot when it comes to saying no... thanks alot for all the advice!!

I have been thinking the same question. My lo is 16 months and sometimes it seems like he would like to nurse but doesn't want to be held cradled up in my arms. I've heard of toddlers standing to nurse but my back has balked at that idea. I think he resists nursing in my arms because he thinks I'm trying to put him to sleep.

When my first baby was 13 months old he got super busy and stopped nursing during the day (we went on a long vacation which kept him busy) but I lost my supply so I try to remind my 16 month old to nurse.

I did let my lo nurse while watching TV the other day. I had put a video on for the older kids and he was set to watch. I had nursed him some before I realized I was super full on the other side and really needed him to nurse a little on that side so I could feel better. Nursing while he watched the video was our compromise.

Laura

It's amazing what we nursing mothers can do, isn't it! But this does sound tricky for you to balance his activities and interests and his need to nurse at the same time. Would he be willing to nurse in an area that is mostly free of distractions for a concentrated nursing session and then more willing to participate in another activity afterward without nursing? Or, on the other hand, would you consider carrying him in a sling for a while? (I'm not sure how much he weighs. My dd at 13 months was on the small side.) The sling may offer him closeness and reassurance. Another idea, if you felt uncomfortable multi-tasking, would be to try to shift gears to an activity that is focused on him, like a playful game of chase, maybe?
    Amy, do any of these suggestions help?
    Mary

oh, he would live in his sling and/or wrap all day long (latched on, of course) if i let him, but he is becoming quite the heavy one...over 25lbs...he will play for awhile with me, and with daddy,or grandparents for hours,if mama isn't around. he is what i have deemed a "sipper" kinda like me, i always have water on hand for myself, he just prefers it from the tap

all night dq, what position did you use for the nursing/watching video?

I've tried to recreate it, but not too much luck. He was on my lap in an armchair and I was turned slightly, but not uncomfortably.

I've been really full today. He's gotten so involved playing with his older brother and sister that he's not interested in nursing. I feel vaguely guilty about this but a few minutes ago he ran into the kitchen from playing and said "wa-wa" and I took him upstairs to nurse - he kept asking for "wa-wa" all the way up. He'd only nurse about 90 seconds but I do feel a touch better.

Laura