Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing nights only?

Question nursing nights only?

Hi everybody..I am in need of some advice...we've made it to one year (yay!!) but now that it's here, i'm not ready to wean ds, and he shows no indication of being ready either..but my schedule is crazy with two older children who are very busy!! This past year has been a struggle: nursing on the go, in the car, pumping, milk supply issues..I'm back at work full time and he started public day care today, which means giving up our lunch time nursing session. By the time I pick him up, it's time for my girls to be at practice, or whatever they have that night...I'm exhausted trying to balance it all...Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that we've made it a year, I'm just not ready to give it up. My question is, how realistic is it to only nurse at night? Will my milk supply hold up, for how long? Has anyone done this? Any advice or suggestions are deeply wanted. Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: nursing nights only?

I *kind of* do this, I actually nurse in the evening, night, and morning, and whenever she wants on weekends, but the important point is that my supply is pretty much regulated to my DD. Some days I still pump at work if I get uncomfy, but that doesn't happen very often. There are some great threads on this issue in the Extended Breastfeeding forum. We were just discussing this there recently.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

As long as your baby is nursing on a regular schedule, you will still make milk. So, if baby is only nursing in evenings and overnights, you'll find that you have plenty of milk at those times, and not a lot during the day.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Yes, we have done this from about 15 months or so on. Pumping in the car during the day was getting tiring and I finally decided I didn't need to anymore. I used to nurse Max right after daycare (around 5) and gradually he stopped asking to nurse at that time or he would be so busy playing or want a snack instead.

At 26 months, he still nurses plenty at night (although he is starting to wean a bit). I always had plenty of milk at night (I think) and I was fine during the day.

Thanks!! I understand how you feel about pumping in the car...my 2 older children have so many after school activities that we pumped & nursed in the car constantly..it does get tiring!! I feel better knowing that I can go without it and he'll still be able to get BM...neither one of us are ready to give it up!! Thanks again!