Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about supply

Default Question about supply

I recently started pumping, the week of Christmas to be exact. I only pump about 3 times a day (if I'm lucky) because DD hates the thing (She'll kick it off of me if she can lol). I'm using the Gerber hand pump. I really like it because it was inexpensive and has the neat feature of simulating baby's suckling. The only issue I have found is that I'm LUCKY to get an ounce per side. And that is mostly if I have her nurse on one side throughout the night. Every once in a while, I get lucky and get an ounce and a half, but that's a rarity indeed.

More often than not, I get a TOTAL of an ounce from both sides. I make sure to pump while she is eating, as I have found it easier when she causes the letdown. I have tried pumping 5-7 times a day, even when nothing comes out, just for the nipple stimulation. I have tried having her nurse more often, but she nurses pretty often as it is.

So, I guess my question is this: How do I get my supply up to a point where I am getting an average of at least 4-6 oz of milk a day? As I mentioned, DD hates my pump. I'm convinced she thinks it's invading her territory. LOL. But, I can easily acheive pumping when she is tired, or just woke up and is trying to go back to sleep, which happens about every 2-5 hours at night.

Thanks In Advanced!

Default Re: Question about supply

Have you done all the holistic stuff, like take Fenugreek root pills and drink Mothers Milk Tea? It might be something to look into. I had some luck with the fenugreek myself.

I have used the Gerber manual pump as well and had about the same luck- only about an ounce total. Have you tried any other pump?

No, I haven't tried Fenugreek or any other holistics, nor have a tried another pump for one reason: Money and the lack thereof. My fiance just started working again after a 2 month drought, so it's been tight, and will continue to be for a bit while we get caught back up on bills

are you needing to leave baby?
    are you returing to work?
    some moms find they can hand express milk if they just need a bottle or two while they are out.
    It might work beter for you then the gerber hand pump.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html
    this link tells you how to do it.
    heres one with pictures.
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

It's actually so I can get a few weekends off. And I had tried hand expressing, with even less luck . It's just frustrating. I haven't had more than 2 hours to myself in 6 months, and it's really starting to take it's toll on me. I know that when I entered into parenthood, that I was going to be consumed by it, but I really need a little "me" time, so that I don't resent my daughter for my stress, and it's really starting to get to that point. (about 10 hours of sleep in 4 days will do that to you)

both the pump and hand expression take some practice.. and some moms never can pump very much.
    Do you nap during the day with baby?
    that helped me when my babies were smaller. I was much less stressed if I had that nap during the day.
    Even if I didn't nap if I just layed down with baby and just took a break for an hour or two.. most days I did sleep I got some good books to read and put my feet up.
    maybe some short times away from baby would be beter on both you and baby at this point. hour or two here and there. As he gets older you'll be able to leave him for longer periods of time and a care giver can give solids.
    They are only little for such a short period of time. That 1st year goes by so quickly.

I would nap with her, but her naps are usually 30-40 mins. By the time I get to sleep, shes waking up. LOL.