Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help: Right breast on strike?

Unhappy Help: Right breast on strike?

I have been doing pretty well lately with nursing and pumping so I contacted a milk bank a couple of days ago to begin donating. Yesterday, my right breast drasticly reduced in supply all of the sudden and the left breast has increased supply (to the degree that they are lopsided). I am making just enough to feed my LO but before I was making a bag (6oz) extra every day or so. I have not changed anything. Any ideas about what is going on? I am increasing the pumping and nursing on the right side in hopes that it will return to normal but I will be at a conference for the next 2 days and will only get to pump a few times and will not be nursing at all. Will I loose the rest of my supply? What do I do?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Help: Right breast on strike?

Hi there,

I have the same problem pumping from my right breast but I have always had it.

What I do is I always nurse first and more often from the right side and I pump from the left - so I get 90% of my EBM from the left side. What I also do is I pump from the right even if I only get a little bit of milk I pump for a while - my supply stays up because I think the pumping sends a "please make milk signal"

I recently read something about stress being a major player in these sorts of situations. Has anything changed in your environment?

I guess I am more stressed about work b/c I do not feel like I can get as much done lately b/c I am distracted, have to pump, or want to go nurse or visit my little girl (daycare is in my building). I guess I need to accept that II can't do everything - at least for a while...
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk