Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Juice?

Default Juice?

I am trying to introduce the boys to a sippy cup...well the Avent piece that goes with the bottles. It's great for starters. I have been putting water in them but one will drink water and the other REFUSES even though I continue to try and probably still will considering that we are big water drinkers here. I have started them on some solids but I am just wondering if 5.5 months is too early to maybe put a little juice with his water. Any other moms of 5 month olds try juices?

Default Re: Juice?

Nope and it actually is a little soon to be drinking water too if I'm not mistaken....Something about throwing off their electrolyte balance? Only BM or formula until six months is what I got here. I had actually introduced water in a bottle at 4&1/2 months because that's when he started refusing the "finger paci" but the sucking need was still there and he was soo chubby I was afraid replace the finger sucking with more breast....so I introduced a water bottle at bed time. But what I read here...made me rethink it.....Look up threads titled "water" if you care to look into it....I would definitely hold off on juice. They don't need it and if you are only going to use it get him to drink water that he doesn't need...I would wait until after the six month point!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks. Makes sense and now that you've said that, I think my Dr. also said not to give water, but that was around 2 months and I never asked her why or when.

I think I really just wanted to give juice or water basically so that they can practice their sippy cups. Only because I have been lazy lately and not pumping every day like I used to. My freezer stash is down to only about 5 bottles. Not really worried about having a stash but didn't want to defrost what I had. But I did manage to pump 5 oz. this am that I didn't freeze yet, so maybe I will just put BM in the cups. Thanks again.

Melonie,

Also, don't worry too much about the sippies. They'll get the hang of it soon enough! My twins didn't want anything to do with a sippy until about 18 months of age, and we tried about 4 different brands. My youngest, however, never got the hang of a bottle, and went straight to a sippy at around 7 months. It'll happen in its own time.

Lisa

I would definately hold off on juice as it can be quite bad for children's teeth and cause diarrhea. Even juice that is 100% real fruit juice is full of natural sugar and it can also cause some children to be more hyper active. Hope this helps!

I will be the dissenter here - I give my children sippies (with stoppers in them) filled with water starting at about 6 mos (or when solids are started). They usually want to try to be like everyone else at the table. We only use them at the table during meal time until about a year. I also do not give juice - it is not recommended for children anymore.

My first 2 dds had breastmilk in sippies starting at 3 mos (while I taught CCD).

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here