Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Self Weaning?

Default Self Weaning?

My LO will be turning one very soon (too soon!) and she is really not into nursing anymore. She has always nursed to sleep for naps and night, and throughout the day. However, recently, it is such a struggle to keep her interest. She sucks for two seconds and off she goes! I try having her sit in my lap and I bring the boobie up to her mouth or.... but she is really not into it. Is it jus a phase cause she is super busy exploring the world or is she self weaning. Even at nights or during her naps, I have to come up with super creative ways to put her to sleep.

I dont want to force her to continue to BF if she doesn't want to. I really wanted to nurse her for more than a year, but I feel uneasy forcing my wish/desire on her.
    HELP!!!

Default Re: Self Weaning?

bump, anyone?

I would keep offering her the opportunity to nurse. Go someplace boring with no toys. If she jumps off tell her okay, we don't need to nurse. If she keeps not nursing your supply will diminish and then the issue will be decided.

Does she drink from a bottle? I'm only asking because my sister's lo wasn't nursing all that much at 11 months and at @ 1 year she weaned her off the bottle and her lo picked up the nursing and ended up nursing till @ 2 1/2.

Laura

It could be a phase. Many, many times I have heard mothers say at about the one-year mark that they feel like their little ones will wean soon because they are so busy. You can keep offering if you'd like to continue. But like the pp said, try to keep it light if she says no. Will she nurse during the night?
    She sounds happy. Usually if it's a nursing strike they are unhappy about the situation.
    Any other changes going on?
    Mary

It sounds like a phase. It is rare for a baby that age to wean. She is probably a little social butterfly. You might want to try taking her to a dark and quiet room to nurse a couple of times per day. Does she nurse at night?

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Yeah, my gut/mom feeling tells me its a phase too. She is trying to stand, and wanting to explore and go go go.... I still nurse her to sleep most of the time but I am getting anxious about her liquid intake. I'm hoping that she is super efficient and taking all the milk out of the breast in a few minutes and off she goes!

My DD can be super efficient! How are her wet diapers?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Not too many and not too soaked, which is what has me the most concerned. I just started offering her water and juice. About 4 oz water mixed with .5 oz juice (she wont drink plain water ) but she is not drinking that either. I guess she is not too thirsty!