Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is Coffee Bad For Supply?

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Is Coffee Bad For Supply?

I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning, just wondering if this is bad for my milk supply. My lo is 3 wks and I've been drinking coffee every morning since we've been home it really dosen't seem to be effecting my supply right now but I've just heard that it might not be a good idea to drink it. Lo is gaining weight just fine and she is having the right amount of wet and dirty diapers everyday, but it does seem that this early I was still pretty full with my 1st lo , and my breast feel now how they felt at probably about 4 to 6 mo. with my 1st lo, could this be concidered having lower milk supply or is that just how it is with your 2nd?

Default Re: Is Coffee Bad For Supply?

Quote Originally Posted by jaamommy View Post
    I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning, just wondering if this is bad for my milk supply. My lo is 3 wks and I've been drinking coffee every morning since we've been home it really dosen't seem to be effecting my supply right now but I've just heard that it might not be a good idea to drink it. Lo is gaining weight just fine and she is having the right amount of wet and dirty diapers everyday, but it does seem that this early I was still pretty full with my 1st lo , and my breast feel now how they felt at probably about 4 to 6 mo. with my 1st lo, could this be concidered having lower milk supply or is that just how it is with your 2nd?
    This is from kellymom:
    "Does caffeine decrease milk supply?
    There is no evidence that caffeine decreases milk supply.

The myth that caffeine will decrease milk supply is widespread. Many moms consume caffeine, and it ought to be easy to document any adverse effects of caffeine on milk supply. No such effect has been observed, however, despite a number of studies of caffeine intake in breastfeeding mothers and years of clinical observations. In fact, one study (Nehlig & Debry, 1994) indicates that caffeine can stimulate milk production. A baby who is fussy and jittery from caffeine stimulation may not nurse well, however, which could lead to a decreased milk supply over time (due to decreased nursing, rather than the mother's caffeine intake)."

HTH

I drink a couple cups of coffee a day and BF twins (almost 6 months) and I have never had low supply.

caffine in the coffee can bother some babies and make them fuss or stay awake for long periods of the day.
    if your baby isn't fussing I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Each baby is diffent.. if your worried about baby count diapars.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Once mother's milk comes in, usually on the third or fourth day, the baby should begin to have 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 wet disposable diapers) per day. (An easy way to feel the weight of a wet disposable diaper is to pour 2-4 tablespoons of water in a dry diaper.)

In addition, most young babies will have at least two to five bowel movements every 24 hours for the first several months, although some babies will switch to less frequent but large bowel movements at about 6 weeks.

A baby that is sleeping rather than feeding every 2-3 hours or is generally lethargic may need to be assessed by a health care provider to make sure that he is adequately hydrated.

These are additional important signs that indicate your baby is receiving enough milk:

The baby nurses frequently averaging at least 8-12 feedings per 24-hour period.
    The baby is allowed to determine the length of the feeding, which may be 10 to 20 minutes per breast or longer.
    Baby's swallowing sounds are audible as he is breastfeeding.
    The baby should gain at least 4-7 ounces per week after the fourth day of life.
    The baby will be alert and active, appear healthy, have good color, firm skin, and will be growing in length and head circumference.
    The physical act of breastfeeding is more than the quantity of milk that is supplied, as you will find once you hold your baby in your arms. Breastfeeding is warmth, nutrition, and mother's love all rolled into one. Understanding and appreciating the signs of knowing when your baby is getting enough to eat is the one of the most important things a new mother can learn. If you have any concerns regarding your baby, they should be addressed with your health care practitioner.

How long do you think it takes for the caffeine to leave your system? I drink a couple of cups in the morning, but don't nurse again until 3 or 4 pm. Do you think the jolt is still there?

This is from breastfeeding. com
    "Generally speaking, caffeine will peak in your milk about an hour after ingestion. Its half life (the time it takes for one half of it to completely leave your milk) varies from 80 hours in a newborn to about 2 1/2 hours in a six month old. It takes four or five half-lives for a drug to be completely eliminated, so caffeine stays in the baby's system for quite a long time. As with all drugs, newborns and preemies take longer to eliminate caffeine from their body than older babies because their digestive systems are less mature."