Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok?

Default Is it ok?

To use sunscreen on a bebe less than 6 months? We are going away and my freind says no. Anyone tried it anyway? What can happen?
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

Default Re: Is it ok?

I was told no sunscreen for 12 months. We kept dd in hat and under an umbrella during tropical vacation. I would consult with ped before you go. Have fun!!!!

Sorry I have to say I did it. My DS plays sports. My DD was at the ball field at a week old. She wore hats, and we had umbrellas and stayed under the shade when we could but somehow it always seemed like the sun was hitting her hands or face, or feet . We used Banana Boat Baby. It has a no tear formula and says gentle as water. I don't know how true that is but we never had a problem. My ped said no sc til 6 months. and that 20 minutes in the sun could really burn them. I say test it in a small place and if it seems ok, it probably is. I honestly believe it's a lawsuit situation they are trying to avoid, drs and the sc companies. Maybe I am wrong, but like I said, we did and are fine. The best thing to do is wear lightweight protective clothes, a big hat, and then if you think you need it, try the sc. Now here comes the bashing.

There are also clothes that you can get that are supposed to be sun-proof or whatever... I don't know how effective they are. Just a thought!

A baby's skin is more porous that an adults and absorbs the chemicals in the sunscreen.

We just got back from vacation with our three month old - we kept her in the shade the whole time, and only had her in the sun before 10 am or after 4:30 We were still able to swim in the pool - choosing a shady spot to keep her in. We also brought a "Peapod" ( http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?p=4,5 ) along with us so we didn't have to worry about her getting sun while she napped.

Have a fun vacation

We had this issue with DD was about five months old and we were going on vacation. We asked her ped about it and she said to use the sunscreen because it's better than the alternative. I don't know if we were given that advice because DD was close to six months in age or if she would just much rather have a greater guarantee that DD wouldn't get burned that early in life or what. (we would have never let her get burned but DD inherited my very fair skin so we wanted to be extra cautious with her). It turned out that she was only in the sun for about 20 minutes when we took her swimming but I used the sunscreen anyway just to be safe.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

We used it. I did my best to keep dd out of the sun, but after about 4 months, I was stir crazy and the alternative was just not acceptable. You want PABA free but my doctor told me after 2 months, and not every day (It was only one day a week or so) it was essentially harmless. I took his word! HTH!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thanks Guys..I found one UV natural baby that can be used on infants under 6 months. Also the AAp suggusts using it b/c burning is worse than the small risk of reactions. Makes me feel better taht you guys had no problems tho! Geeze I never in a million years thought I would be researching sunscreen.
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

I live on the Gulf coast and used it with mine from about 2 months on, actually even earlier, more like 6 weeks. We have to use it here, it's basically part of your skin care routine. They make more gentle brands and you can buy them with minimal or no aluminum. Aveeno makes a great baby sunscreen, you can get it in the baby section at walmart.
    HTH!

THanks for this thread. I have the same question... my DS appears to be inheriting the red hair/fair skin combination of my mother's side of the family, so you just know he's all set to burst into flames in the sun. Personally, I agree that it's better to use it than not use it if it's the difference between burning or not, but I wanted to hear what others were told. I have a peds appointment in two weeks, and I hope to remember to ask then, too.