Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby acne? craddle cap? seborrheic rash? ezcema?

Default baby acne? craddle cap? seborrheic rash? ezcema?

which one is it? it was around 3 weeks that LO got the little red bumps and blotchiness on her face...and assume it was baby acne. We heard it was normal, so didn't worry about it...just washed it 2x a day with warm water. Then a week later noticed some yellow crustiness around her eyebrows, nose and ears. A friend of ours said it was craddle cap, even though she didn't have any flakes around her scalp. Again we heard this is normal and just kept her clean. But now at 5 weeks, her whole face has gotten tough-skined and bumpy with the redness. We looked it up and it sounds like seborrheic rash or ezcema...but we're not 100%. Also not sure what causes it or what to do about it. Any clue? Any advice?

Default Re: baby acne? craddle cap? seborrheic rash? ezcema?

Check out Rash-o-rama for pictures of various rashes...maybe you'll see the one your LO is experiencing.

I agree with PP Rash-o-rama is great! If you are still concerned contact your doctor - maybe you can go in for at least a nurse visit. My LO had the red bumps on the face too and we were told to wash with water only - no baby soap. I only started using baby soap on her face when she was almost 2 months old and her skin instantly became dry and flaky around her eyebrows and nose (T zone). Her doc said it was fine and to use a baby lotion all over. Now, her skins seems fine. HTH. Good luck!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Could it be the shampoo you are using? I recently learned Johnson's Baby Shampoo is very drying (after my lo developed a bad case of cradle cap while using it). I'm trying Li'l Goat's Milk Tearless Shampoo & Body Wash based on a recommendation. So far, his cradle cap does seem better and his hair is super soft. You can get it at drugstore.com.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...-PLST-0-SEARCH

Also, my ds developed a rash on his face few weeks ago, and I realized it was heat rash from skin-to-skin contact with my arm while BFing. I now try to make sure my arm is covered with a burp cloth or blanket when BFing if I'm not wearing long sleeves.

The rash-o-rama site is great, but it doesn't seem like she has any of the listed rashes. If her face doesn't get better during the week, we'll visit the doc. Hope to share some info with you all soon.

That sounds a lot like what DD had when she was about that age (the progression of the rash and everything). As soon as the first bumps appeared, we took her to an Urgent Care facility where we live (her regular doc was already closed) and they said it was infant acne and to just wash her face twice daily with a mild soap (we use Aveeno Baby Wash). When the tough, red skin started, we took her back to the doctor and she said that it was at that point eczema. Since it was Winter she told us to use a humidifier in her room, let her soak in the tub for 10 minutes daily and to slather an adult grade moisturizer on her and to use hydrocortizone cream until we got it under control. We ended up finding that Aquaphor worked best for her and started to see results within the week. I would definitely get your LO to a doc if it doesn't clear up within the next couple of days so that the rash doesn't cause scaring or anything (if she's itching at it...)

Keep us updated and good luck!!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    We ended up finding that Aquaphor worked best for her and started to see results within the week.
    We have some samples of Aquaphor tubes...I guess this would a good time to test it out. Did you apply the Aquaphor on her face?