Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby quit drinking milk

Unhappy Baby quit drinking milk

My baby is 10 1/2 month old. I tried to wean him for a long time but he refused everything, including bottle, cup, straws, etc. So I decided to just continue to nurse. He slowly wean himself but he is still not taking milk from other sources. He was continuing on nursing morning and evening and the middle of the night for a while. However, suddenly one day he is teething and I guessed nursing hurt him and he just stop nursing all together. Now I am so worry that he is not drinking milk. I mixed milk in his cereal and spoon fed him milk too. But he will just have a total intake of about 8oz a day which is far from enough. I need help.

Default Re: Baby quit drinking milk

Hello!

I think we will be able to help you... but first, could you tell us which direction you would like to go? If you want to continue nursing, you can still make milk for your baby. The best way to get your milk back is to just put him to your breast and let him nurse as much as he wants. How long has it been since he nursed? It sounds like your baby is going through a nursing strike, rather than weaning.

If you really feel you are done nursing, a baby under 1 year old really needs to be getting formula and not cow's milk. Cow's milk is not recommended for any babies under 1 year old. It just does not have the right balance of nutrients for a baby under 1.

Hope that helps a little bit! Could you write back in and let us know if continuing nursing is something you are willing to do? If so, we can help you get your baby back to nursing again!

Default Re: Baby quit drinking milk

He quit since Friday morning. I am still pumping. I am willing to get him back to nursing. He is just not interesting in it. I tried to offer him all the time. He just doesn't want it. I am feeding him breastmilk and formula. Actually, I just want him to drink more milk, whichever way is easier, I am desperate. Also, he is not sleeping as well.
    Last edited by pplee; March 13th, 2006 at 02:28 PM.