Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I feel horrible! I'm not producing enough milk!

Unhappy I feel horrible! I'm not producing enough milk!

Ok so this is my 2nd baby. With my first son I had enough milk to feed an army! But with this one I'm drying up and it's only been 2 weeks since my sons' been born. I feel horrible! I want to breastfeed but I know he's not getting enough because he's ALWAYS hungry! I have no choice but to supplement formula.

My breasts don't even get full enough to leak. So what's the problem? I have been a little stressed out because it's hard getting used to a second child but gosh I would think that's normal.

Someone please help. I'm not ready to quit breastfeeding. I feel like a horrible mother!

Thanks in advance for any and all advise!

Sarah

Default Re: I feel horrible! I'm not producing enough milk!

Hey Sarah,
    I'm not sure I have the answers for your particular problem, but I'm sure others will write in soon. You are not a horrible mother!!!! Hang in there, things WILL get better.
    How is he nursing? Does he seem to latch on well and does he nurse for very long? How often? Are you getting enough rest? I think that really makes a difference even if you can't go to sleep but just lie down more often. Also make sure you are eating well and getting plenty of water to drink.
    You may want to look into getting a supplemental feeder so you can still feed him at the breast while supplementing. That way your breasts are still being stimulated to produce milk. I had to use one because my son would not nurse for 4 weeks!! I also had to pump to keep my supply. You may want to do a search on the LLL website for info on how to increase your supply.
    Wish I could help more. I'm sure more moms will write in soon. Please take care of yourself

It's normal for breastfeeding babies to go through phases where they appear to be very hungry, and also for them to desire to be nursed often. Also, sufficient breasts do not always leak. I just wanted to mention that before you really question your supply. How are your child's diapers (soiled)? Is he having 6 wet diapers a day and two bowel movements on your milk alone? If so it would seem your milk supply is just fine. I'm no expert but I wish you the best of luck! I myself have struggled with breastfeeding as well....

Hi Sarah,
    You are busy with an older child and worried that your son is getting enough. When you say he is always hungry after a feeding, what type of signals is he sending you?

As the PP I would be interested to know more about his feedings:
    How many in 24 hours/how long at breast?
    Active nursing with swallowing? Do you see milk in the corners of his mouth?
    Wet and dirty diapers?
    Weight gain? (if you have had this checked lately)(Remember to start from *lowest* weight, not just birth weight.)

As the PP said, leaking breasts are not an indication of making milk. So please try not to worry about that too much.

You might wish to check this link:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/normal.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

In the meantime, you might find it helpful to speak with someone in person. Do you know if you have an LLL Leader in your area? Let me know if you need help finding someone:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Finally, as the PP stated, increased or frequent nursing in the early weeks is a great way to establish an adequate milk supply. The first 4-6 weeks are crucial to laying the foundation for your supply. So hang in there and nurse, nurse, nurse.

I will look for your response,