Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: made a mistake

Default made a mistake

Hi
    About 3 weeks ago, I started weaning my son from the breast as I felt like he wasn't getting enough, and supplemented with formula. My breasts didn't feel very full. Now I breastfeed in the morning only. My supply is getting lower and lower everyday. I thought I had made a good descision by giving it up but I've been feeling guilty ever since I started weaning. It seems like like I wasn't as ready as I thought. I'm sure my husband is getting tired of hearing me going back and forth about the whole thing. Altough he's very supportive. Yesterday I cried all morning. Im' not any better today. I suppose my hormones are changing because I've been weaning. How easy or hard would it be to increase my milk supply, and would the milk adjust to baby's age.
    My son will be 4 months old tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance fo any suggestion.

Default Re: made a mistake

Here are the things I've done to increase my supply, in order of how useful I think they've been.

1. Nurse baby frequently. This was by far the most effective thing for me, and had the added benefit of putting some extra weight on DB since he got a little low. If you have the time, watch a few movies and just let DB nurse away.

2. Rest and fluids. Your body's a finely tuned system, and rest and water will help a lot. Also, try not to worry too much about bf-ing (the stress doesn't help). You can say to yourself, well, I'm going to try a few things and see how it goes.

3. More Milk Plus. A tincture available at natural food stores or online. Fenugreek also helped me (I think I did 3 tabs 3x/day, but read the directions).

4. Oatmeal - Not sure how much this helped after all the other things, but I felt like I was "doing something" and it's healthy, so no harm done.

I think if your diaper count is good (I know, hard to tell at this age) and DB is gaining weight, seems happy and is meeting developmental milestones, you've got plenty of milk. Do you have a scale, or can you drop into your pediatrician's office two times, one week apart, to see how much DB has gained? That will probably go a long way to reassuring you that he's getting enough.

GL!

It's certainly not too late to stop the weaning process and get baby back to the breast full-time. As a general rule, it'll take you as long to rebuild your supply as baby has been away from the breast. So if baby hasn't nursed for 3 weeks, it'll take you about 3 weeks to get your milk supply back to where it was when you stopped nursing. Make sense?

Success with this type of thing depends mainly on mom's motivation (given there are no underlying conditions for a true low milk supply) so if you're motivated enough, you can do it. You'll need to dedicate some serious time to rebuilding your supply -- you'll need to nurse or pump frequently. I'd suggest at least every 2 hours. Do you have a hospital grade electric pump? If not, you may want to rent one. This will only be temporary anyhow.

I wouldn't worry about your milk adjusting to baby's age -- your milk is the perfect food for your baby regardless.

All that said, you mentioned that you started this process because you felt your baby wasn't getting enough from you. The *only* way to know whether your baby is getting enough milk is if baby is gaining weight. A good indication of that is to watch baby's wet diaper output. So, once you regain your supply, it's a good idea to learn more about what to expect so that you don't inadvertantly end a nursing relationship because of misinformation

Best of luck to you! You can do this!

Thank you for the advice. Although my son does not look interrested at sucking at all. He seems too occupied in other things. Even when it's quiet. He just wants to look around, do lots of kicking and pulling on and off the nipple. I'm still bfeeding in the morning and he does the same thing. And I assume there is enough milk in the morning as he'll last 3-4 hrs before next feed, which is formula.
    I'll try pumping as much as I can and see what happens. Or could he already be ready to be off the breast.

Babies under 1 year of age do not self-wean and evidence tells us that babies are typically at least 2 years old before they might self-wean.

To be sure, babies of this age are distractible. Try to do your best to get him to nurse, even if it takes a while because he takes 2 sucks, pulls off, looks around, etc. Also, keep in mind that babies figure out that getting milk out of a bottle is much easier than getting it out of the breast so often times they'll develop a preference for the bottle. You may want to try the supplements through a SNS and help him get away from the bottles.

You may want to try offering to nurse him first instead of giving him that bottle of formula. It shouldn't take very long for your supply to increase for that feeding. Supplement after nursing if you need to for a few days.