Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: medications while breastfeeding

Default medications while breastfeeding

Allergy season is approaching and I'm wondering about the safety of my allegra while I'm breastfeeding (I would be miserable without it!).

Is there a good resource re: the safety of drugs while nursing?

Thanks!

Default Re: medications while breastfeeding

A Medication Guide for Breastfeeding Moms
    by Thomas Hale and Ghia McAfee

This new resource put together by Dr. Thomas Hale, author of the popular guide for health professionals, Medications and Mother’s Milk, offers basic information that mothers can understand. Using the latest research to rate the safety of each drug, the authors provide easy-to-understand explanations of how drugs enter human milk and possible side effects. Common herbs for breastfeeding mothers, recreational drugs, and some medical conditions are also discussed. Softcover, 313 pages. No. 1750-7, $19.95

you can call a lll leader and ask
    or maybe a leader can answer here

Default Re: medications while breastfeeding

his web site says its fine.. watch for
    pseudoephedrine that can cause some women problems with supply

I am a nurse and also a breastfeeding mother. My daughter is 3 months old. I keep getting conflicting information on the safety of taking allegra for allergy symptoms. My general practioner says absolutely not and a lactation consultant told me it is safe. Could you clarify?

Tom Hale Ph.D.
    Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 08:06 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Its in my book, page 279. Only 0.45% transfers to milk. Its fine.

Tom Hale, Ph.D.

Lori Taylor
    Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:58 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Dr. Hale. I am an RD breastfeeding my 14 month old. I've checked Medications and Mother's Milk section on Allegra. However, the two times I've tried a 60-mg dose it seems I've had trouble with let down. Have you heard any reports of this?

Tom Hale Ph.D.
    Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:22 pm:

Lori:

Check your Allegra. If its Allegra D with pseudoephedrine, then it could be the pseudoephedrine product causing the problem.

If not, then I've not heard any other complaints about a let down.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Lori Taylor
    Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:33 pm:

Dr. Hale, it is plain Allegra....I have to avoid decongestants because they are too stimualting for me. I will try Allegra again and see. Thanks, Lori