Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 day old and weight loss

Default 8 day old and weight loss

My daughter was born Jan. 5. When we left the hospital, she'd started nursing, and her weight was the same as her birth weight. When we went to the ped Friday, she'd lost down to 5 lbs. 5 oz. (She was 5 lb. 14 oz. at birth.) She's right on the border of being a preemie, so she's tiny. Anyway, we're concerned about the weight issue. I'm taking her back Monday to get weighed again, but I'm trying to decide what to do in the meantime.

1. Is fenugreek helpful? I've read it's safe, and I'm assuming that's true. I don't know if the problem is milk production or not.

2. I'd been nursing her on demand. We're not really routinized and have never put my son on a schedule. Of course, he's too independent to go for that anyway, but that's another story. My daughter wants to sleep all morning (from 6:30 until noon-ish). Then she wants to nurse a couple of times until 4 or 5 pm and then nurse almost constantly until midnight or so. My doctor said we can't do that because she's using up too much energy during the cluster feedings and not getting enough calories. I've been trying to wake her every 2 hours, but I'm not great with doing it consistently. Then she falls asleep while she's nursing if I had to wake her up. I'm not sure how to keep her awake. I've tried irritating her, undressing her, etc. I'm wondering if it's the early birth affecting her need to sleep because she's been much more active in the last 24 hours.

3. I put her in a sling Friday night and allowed her to nurse that way for a while. It seemed to work better, but I'm not sure how to manage that all the time. My son will be 2 next week, so he's pretty active. Plus, I had a c-section, so I can't hold her indefinitely. I'm open to any suggestions for how to make that easier or a sling that works well for nursing.

I'd appreciate any advice. I had to stop nursing my son because of the onset of very severe postpartum depression, and I've felt a lot of guilt over it. I'm trying to avoid that this time and give breastfeeding a try for longer than we did with my son. Oh, also, I did give her a bottle. She will drink it but doesn't like it. She seems to prefer breastfeeding, so I don't know what the problem is. I have very large breasts, and that was part of the problem with my son. I'm wondering if it is with her, too. They're just little babies.

Brandi

Default Re: 8 day old and weight loss

welcome to you and baby!
    do you have a local lll leader to talk to?
    heres a link to find one
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

its normal for babies to loose weight after birth, scales can be up to 1 lb off.
    And if the nurses aren't paying attention they can record things wrong.
    2. I think your doctor gave bad advice, I would let her nurse on demand, somebabies like to nurse 12 times in 24 hours and thats normal for them.
    She is still building your milk supply and should be able to nurse when she wants too. Counting diapars is the way to go...
    heres a link to tell if baby is getting the milk they need

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    ive got to go but I'll add some more later in the day...

According to diapers, she's getting enough. Our ped says she looks healthy every other way. It's just the weight loss. I know I'm anxious, but with everything that happened with my son, I'm afraid this won't work out and that it's my fault. I told my husband that we're taking the next few days just to make feeding her a priority so that we can get everything going right. I work from home, and work is very tempting when it's so close. I think I may need to take things slower than I'd thought.

Has your milk came in? I too agree that the scares could be off, you could try pumping just to see how much you can get out .

Fenugreek does work for most people it has helped increase my supply but it was almost down to nothing just because I was uneducated about needing to pump even if my daughter is refusing the breast so it was my fault. You could also try mothers milk, its a tea and has blessed thrislte or whatever that is in it and they say you should take that with fenugreek. Good luck and congrats on the little one

sounds like you have a good plan.. slow down and nurse.
    She so little yet. If baby is still losing after the weight check we can talk about other things you can do it get her to nurse more often.
    it sounds like to she has her days and nights mixed up, that happens in the hosptial sometimes.
    heres some info on icreasing your supply... and how to get the baby to nurse well
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html

Well, we went back to the doctor today. She's down to 5 lbs. 3 oz. We're going to start supplementing with formula. My doctor thinks the problem is not enough milk being produced. He said that with the size of my breasts and her mouth, it's likely she can't suction enough to help me get my full supply of milk. So, I'll be trying to increase my milk supply and get her to get more from the feedings. She's doing great on time and on having enough diapers. I don't know why she's still losing weight! Our doctor says that once she gets up to 6 pounds, we shouldn't need the supplemental feedings anymore, so I'm hoping we can get to that point soon.

Brandi

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html
    heres a link about breast compression
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

you also can rent a scale to use at home that way you could keep track of her weight at home. Most places that rent pumps have scales for rent also.
    weight the baby before a feed and then after a feed to see how much milk baby is getting.
    do you have a good pump? Your own milk is beter for supliments then formula.
    heres a good link

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep99p75.html

1. Is fenugreek helpful? I've read it's safe, and I'm assuming that's true. I don't know if the problem is milk production or not.

Some mothers find using fenugreek helps to increase their production. As with all medications (herbal and otherwise), there are precautions to take, and dosages to follow.

2. I'd been nursing her on demand. We're not really routinized and have never put my son on a schedule. Of course, he's too independent to go for that anyway, but that's another story. My daughter wants to sleep all morning (from 6:30 until noon-ish). Then she wants to nurse a couple of times until 4 or 5 pm and then nurse almost constantly until midnight or so. My doctor said we can't do that because she's using up too much energy during the cluster feedings and not getting enough calories. I've been trying to wake her every 2 hours, but I'm not great with doing it consistently. Then she falls asleep while she's nursing if I had to wake her up. I'm not sure how to keep her awake. I've tried irritating her, undressing her, etc. I'm wondering if it's the early birth affecting her need to sleep because she's been much more active in the last 24 hours.

You might find that kangaroo mother care helps to keep her interested and organize her movements.
    http://www.prematurity.org/baby/kangaroo.html
    http://www.kangaroomothercare.com/

To help keep her awake while she is nursing, you could try breast compressions. Babies often fall asleep while they are nursing, but if they are getting a good bit of milk for their efforts, they stay awake. Please check out the handout and videos on this page:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

3. I put her in a sling Friday night and allowed her to nurse that way for a while. It seemed to work better, but I'm not sure how to manage that all the time. My son will be 2 next week, so he's pretty active. Plus, I had a c-section, so I can't hold her indefinitely. I'm open to any suggestions for how to make that easier or a sling that works well for nursing.

I'm sure mothers here would have some suggestions for carriers to try. What is the problem with the sling you are currently using? Does it sit on your incision site?

Do you have any help at home? Are you able to go into bed and just rest and nurse?

If you spend a good bit of time alone, have you considered setting up a totally safe area for your toddler? There will likely be times that you need to focus on nursing and having an area where your toddler can explore without worry of him getting hurt would be beneficial for all of you.